Part eating concrete floor???

Hi Troops:

I have just spent an hour crawling about on the cellar floor looking for a dropped landing gear wheel for a 1/48 Hasegawa Hurricane. Now I know the "part eating carpet" is firmly enshrined in the modellers Rogues gallery of villains, but a concrete floor??? I've looked under the workbench, the book case, all the nearby shelves, how can it disappear like that??

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Time to get the flashlight out and get down on your knees. Having the light at a low angle of attack usually helps me, it will cast a shadow off the part making it easier to spot. It is probably a natural concrete gray floor and the wheel is molded in a grey plastic. You might get lucky and find the parts I dropped! Thankfully I have a HUGE spares collection. lol Good luck.

Reply to
bluumule

Drop the *other* wheel...and follow its journey. It should lead you to the first wheel.

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

First of all , I do hope that you the little wayward wheel.

Then when you do then I recommend you give the floor a nice coat of "Hot Pink"

Parts which hit the floor should show up with little or no trouble at all then. :) :)

I had pink poster paper under a sheet of plastic on my work bench once so that I could find parts that went out of hand

... Carl ..........

,,

Rama-Lama-BIG-BORG ; BORG TEMPLE N.Y. Central-Park-West ; Master Builder of blessed temple KITS ; Keeper of Secret Temple Decoder Rings & Bracelets ; Fluent-in-1st--Degree--TALK-to-the-HAND

--TEMPLE-ETTE--Guards--SIX--&--SEVEN--

The----WORLD--WIDE--WEB----is totally jam packed with thousands of people who are Destined to be nothing more then a faded weatherbeaten

---CHALK--OUTLINE--- along the---INFORMATION--SUPER--HIGHWAY---

This is My Main Modeling Page and Web-Site

And Introducing "SPOT -the- CAT"

A brief look into what is really me
Yessss , I'm the -real- "Bad Santa"

cyberborg 4000

Yeh right! Chaos theory (and Sod's Law) predicts that it will go in a totally different direction and you'll lose both of 'em!

Been there! Done that!

Bought another kit for spares...!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Oh Well, I can probably get a resin set from True Details. Where's my Squadron flyer when I need it??

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Don't forget to check your shoes. I had a part that I spent an hour or so looking for fall out of my shoe when I took them off that night. Mike

Reply to
krazcustoms

LOL!

Reply to
Art Murray

I feel your pain. I lost a 1/32 scale radial engine that rolled off my workbench into oblivion a while back. It was not that small! What is even more puzzling is that I recently did a major cleaning of the workshop, pulled everything off the floor, swept and rearranged everything and the engine never showed up. I'm convinced that plastic modeling disrupts the space-time continuum somehow, creating black holes that swallow small parts. Somewhere in the universe there is a huge cloud of missing plastic and PE parts floating around. Maybe that's the missing dark matter. ... or maybe I just need to put the cap back on the bottle of Tenax.

Mark

Reply to
mark johnston

best way to find a missing part on the floor is to back up while still in your wheeled chair. the wheels will automatically roll right over the part. guaranteed.

Craig

Reply to
crw59

I'll see your engine and raise you an entire model (actually two in one box). I've got a pair of Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Vs around here somewhere that I haven't been able to find for *months*. It wouldn't be so bad except that they're about half built and I sure would like to finish at least one of them... :(

Reply to
Al Superczynski

My modelling area has a concrete floor. I have lost count of the number of parts that I have lost. Most of my models are 1/72 so the parts are smaller so that may explain why the get lost easier.

The torch shown parallel to the floor has worked for me a number of times. Other times, I have found parts caught in the fabric of my chair. Recently I spent an hour looking for the nose Pitot tub of a MiG25 that I accidentally broke off. Just as I was about to give up in despair, I checked the seat and there is was.

Hope your find the part

Best of luck Ultan

Reply to
Ultan Rooney

BTDT, got the t-shirt and baseball cap... ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski

My guess is that concrete brings out the 'spring' in parts. I've found parts far from where I know I saw them hit the floor. The worst part is that you might find the part with your foot. I found a missing canopy that way over the weekend. :(

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Ewwwwwwww! Hot pink would be a good reason to avoid going down to the workbench.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

As an alternative to TD, can I suggest Ultracast? I have been using their stuff for a while and it is superb.

Enzo Matrix

No, it is not the carpet itself that eats the parts, it is the plastic bugs. They prefer to live in carpet, but they will exist on concrete floors, or even vinyl.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Another thing that helps is a kind of apron. I fastened two spring clips to the bottom of my workbench. I used an old apron, doubled and sewed, to make a sheet the width of the opening on my bench (between the drawer standards, where my legs go) and about 18 inches high. I clip this in the clips, and drape it over my lap when I sit down. I clip it to the bench rather than securely fasten it, 'cause it can get caught on my clothing. This way it pulls free.

This is not foolproof- I still have parts roll off onto floor. But it DOES cut down on the number. The majority stay in this cloth.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I too feel your pain and lend my support. I was painting my 1/72 Fujimi F7U Cutlass and it was progressing very nicely when it shot out of the plastic hemostats and crashed to the floor then into pieces! I picked up most of them except for the right intake. Oh well, finished it wheels up and hung so the missing intake doesn't show. Hope your part shows up.

markm70

Reply to
Mark M

My most frustrating part search ended after an hour when it finally dawned on me to look in my pants cuff. There it was all safe and sound.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray