x-y table for homemade cnc

Hiya,

Im gonna build myself a simple cnc machine for a project and was just woundering where i can buy an x-y table, such as the wolfcraft ones.

It doesnt have to be fitted with steppers just the handles is great

cheers

Reply to
spleen

The usual suspects (Chester UK, Axminster, Warco) all do cast iron X-Y tables of various sizes. If you're looking for something smaller/lighter (but not necessarily cheaper!), Proxxon do a couple of X-Y tables made from ally extrusions.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Proxon - advertise regularly in the mags.

spleen wrote:

Reply to
Dick Ganderton

Chester (also Arc Euro Trade) sell a nice small one as an accessory to their Micro-Mill.

see :-

__

Neil Barnes

Reply to
Neil Barnes

I've been thinking about something similar for a small milling sub table.

Are you proposing to use the feedscrews supplied, or swapping them for ballscrews?

I've no experience with CNC but am keen to learn.

I've found a couple of websites that might be of interest.

regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Cheers for the link, the first one you posted i havent seen before that thats the sort of thing i had thought of building,

Ive seen the compucut stuff in model workshop but i think for what you get for that much money its a bit of a rip off, as the actual circuit from what I could see is very basic and not worth the money in my option as somehting more complex could be designed and implemented relativly simpley, that said i think it would be useful if you dont have a clue about electronics. Although I obviously havent seen the documentation and the amoutn you pay for this could really be worthwhile.

I like the like to the chester xy table, thats priced at £75 think i might use that if i cant find something cheaper.

I plan to keep the exisiting feedscrews and use toothed belts to rotate the handles. Although I havent put a great deal of thought into this yet.

I plan to program the control software myself in C under linux and use the real-time patches. There is a no-install bootable CD at

which supports up to 6 axis so that might be worthlooking into

greg

Reply to
spleen

Hi Greg, I'm comfortable with all levels of electronic assembly, drivers PSU etc once I've got an outline of a design. I have metal working facilities and a fair amount of experience of maching and fitting.

Depending on what you propose to use the table for, I guess you could well need to think about backlash which could be 0.1 -0.25 mm in all but the newest nut and feedscrew. Ball screws I've found (WWWRS.com) are horrendously dear typically 4 times what you are preparing to spend on the table!! However i have not the first idea about what software I need or programming. I use a PC simply as a tool running windows and high level applications MS office type applications so diving into unknowns such as Linux or dos is all a bit daunting.

Maybe we can keep in touch?

Regards

Bob

Near Southampton UK

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Yep, throw me and any email and ill give you the email address that I use as my proper email address.

this one will work, it just gets clogged with spam so i dont use it

greg

programming.

Reply to
spleen