Radio contol but NOT of models

Does anyone here know anything about radio-controlling things OTHER than
models? This means knowledge of r/c itself, rather than just buying transmit
and receive black boxes from a model shop!
In particular, I'm looking to make a remotely controlled 4 channel audio
mixer, which will have the manual slider pots in the transmitter, remote
from the mixer itself, which will in turn NOT have sound level pots moved by
motors or servos (too slow and too power hungry), but use fets controlled by
integrators from the receiver.
Can anyone suggest someone with knowledge of this sort of electronics, or
perhaps any book or publication that might help.
I know that if I had a lot of money, I could go to people like Strand
Electric and buy this off the shelf, but it is for a model engineering club,
where we have problems with the in-house sound system, which is too remote
(and uncontrollable) from our meeting.
If anyone can help - many thanks in advance for anything you can offer or
suggest.
Dave. BSMEE, Bristol
Reply to
speedy2
The cheap solution is a pair of walkie-talkies & a volunteer to be the remote "control system" ;-)
Regards, Tony
Reply to
Tony Jeffree
I think, Tony, that we really need to cut out the human volunteer bits of the system as it is! They are the biggest problem and the weakest link! Especially as the in-house system has an 8-way mixer with lots of knobs, bells and whistles for every tom, dick and harry to fiddle with, particularly those not of our group.
I want to cut it all down to just one house input, with presets on it that I can remember, and control everything from wherever I am in the main room, without wires. Having a radio mic, a stick mic, a vcr/dvd player and a video projector is enough without the house system's variables!
Dave.
p.s. just imagine - up a bit on four - NO FOUR - no thats too much and its on THREE - a sh*t, thats deafened everyone and the amp has blown it fuse - goodnight all.........
Reply to
speedy2
The cheapest solution, if you don't need a long range, would be to use a TV Infra Red remote. You can purchase (or build) a little module that will receive and decode the IR signal. Regards, Allen
Reply to
AllenB
Dave,
Lots of ways of doing this all with their (dis)advantages including 433MHz modules, 802.11 and infrared.
Jon
Reply to
Jon Schneider
Hi Dave
I routinely use PICs to interface from R/C outputs to various things e.g stepper motors, lamps etc, it's fairly easy to do.
As you know R/C outputs vary the pulse width from 1 to 2 milliseconds, the PIC converts this into a number between 100 to 200, then a program can do what you want to it, in this case alter the pulse width on an output to feed a resistor/capacitor to give a varying voltage which could be used to vary the input to your FET or Transistor.
Excuse my ignorance, what does the BSMEE stand for?
Reply to
Chris
Bristol Society of Model and Experimental Engineers I suspect !
Andrew Mawson
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
Bull Shit Makes Engineers Erudite?