YASV (Yet Another Scraping Video): Flaking ...

I think that Connelly is wrong on this one! While frost does not make exactly square patterns on windows, it can make similar patterns with different areas. Another example is the pattern of the zinc crystals on galvanized iron. Again, it isn't regular, but that is the general appearance.

I think that flowering is engine turning by hand :-)

I had been trying to explain the principal without trying to convince anyone that it could be done without damaging the accuracy. There are examples of the manufacturer's name/logo being made in the centre of the surface table using this technique :-) Note:- I haven't tried it myself, it's enough work getting things flat without decorating them as well!

Every time I look at a Bridgeport I get angry about the mindless damage :-(

regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

ACK to that "the next time it will be caught". But still, with a ground surface I couldn't touch. It doesn't pick up blue and its hard to apply an even layer of blue on it. The blue kind of peels off when rolling over it. Maybe a property of my blue?

OK. Then we agree. Just refresh with the roller (without charging the roller). Depends on the surface. For fine work, when I don't get they layer of blue thin enough, I make a few touches that I wipe off of the work until the layer on the granite is thin enough. Happens when starting from fresh.

ACK. Again, depends on the surface and how good it is in keeping blue. Thus the flakes.

No, not at all! If you envision what happens when the reference is sliding over work and what the blue does, you see that pockets / valleys are essential for a clear reading.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Ah, now I know what that pattern looks like:

Not mine, and not the best according to the scraper. Rectangles are about square and 2 .. 5 mm long. Scraped in 45° directions.

Yes, its a bit destructive, but not that much if you touch and modify the pressure at high spots.

I wouldn't buy a Bridegport anyhow. It's like the Robinson for helicopters. Works, but ugly. :-))

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Looks like my engineerium too,

but then dawn breaks and I wake up. Ned Ludd

Reply to
ned ludd

OK, got that working yesterday. Initial charging with blue is more complicated, but then it works. I still prefer pockets, they are easier to handle and I see no drawback (until now).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Some do and some don't :-)

Reply to
Boo

Do *you*? Me not. :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Why aren't ball races, taper roller bearing and linear rails scraped if it's the best surface

Has anyone else ever noticed the identical spelling between Scrape - ed and Scrap - ed ?

John S.

Reply to
John S

It's the best *gliding*-surface, not rolling surface.

And an ideal fitting surface too. I've read in a book, that the overall damping is by magnitudes better with scraped and oiled surfaces compared to milled ones. That damping has an higher effect than the damping of single parts (cast iron vs. steel).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Tut tut! There's more P in scrapped. Now have fun with that!

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

Added two more about the Myford:

Part two (the Vee)

Part three (a fitting surface)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Kind of odd way to say it but it was understood. Of course I live where English is the American version ;) I'm used to oddities in language since we slurp up any word that works for us and then we mangle a few on purpose. ;)

Darn flash player is doing weird things so I'm using keepvid to download it atm.

Ah, nice vid, grabbed the hirez version. Noticed your line on tool that you index to drawn diagonals.

Wish my dsl was faster. I have 12 minutes to wait for the next vid you produced to download.

Thank you for sharing this information.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Bought a better camera. :-) So starting with part 2, the videos should be better. I'm also trying a new software for cutting (Magix $WhatEver) that uses the video in its original format and needs no converting before (as with that damned MS Movie Maker that crashes every once and a while and is sometimes unable to export his own crap).

Anyhow. My English might be funny, but still understandable. :-)) And corrections are welcome, I'm still willing to learn. But for the vids, it's too late, they are online.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Youtube tends to make high and low rez versions of one's uploads. I tend to believe they serve them depending on perceived bandwidth. I used keepvid to pick the better of the two.

A better camera is always good. Some day I'll have a better one than my Sony V-3. It isn't really a video camera but I've tried to use it as such. I'd like a HD video camera someday. Static pictures of engines isn't as nice as machines in motion with sound.

Your English is generally better than what is spoken where I live and work. Even if it was not, what you tend to share would be worth any effort to understand.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

... part 4:

It's about the Myford's table and using the bed as the master.

Enjoy! Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller