Carboxymethylcellulose processing

Can anyone recommend to me a good reference for the conversion process of taking cellulose to carboxymethylcellulose?

I have been experimenting recently with processing a viscose fiber to achieve a CMC fiber which will be partly soluble in water. I have been working mostly with a one solution reaction process with reactants NaOH and sodium salt of chloroacetate in water and ethanol. I have also played with the processing times and temperatures but am still learning more about the materials every day. I don't have a good reference for this and have been learning as I go. So any references would be appreciated.

One curious thing I have noticed is that I can process my fabrics up to a certain point and maintain elasticity...but take the process just a bit further and I loose that elasticity. I like the elasticity and want to maintain it. Any idea regarding this are appreciated, too.

Thanks!

Reply to
BK-71