Gamma radiation of PTFE

I know that PTFE does not withstand gamma radiation. There are a lot of sources or handbooks that mention that. However, I am hard-pressed to find the quantitative effect that gamma radiation has on PTFE properties. Like, what does it do to the modulus, or elasticity, or mol wt, etc. I am interested in approx. 25 to 30 kGy radiation effect---but a barcketing effect study (at the high and low end) would be more useful.

Thanks for your help!

Nilesh P.S. I am looking to find what gamma sterilization exactly does to PTFE, in terms of impacting its phycial/chemcial properties.

Reply to
N. Ron

PTFE decomposes by electron or gamma radiation in presence of oxygen generating carbonyl fluoride and carboxylic acid groups. The following = documents talk about some of the inflicted changes in mechanical properties:

PTFE can be sterilized with ethylene-oxide, Formalin or steam.
FEP and ETFE resins withstand varying degrees of gamma radiation better.
"N. Ron" schrieb im Newsbeitrag = news:bghebh$je3$ snipped-for-privacy@bob.news.rcn.net...

Reply to
Rolf Wissmann

Hallo, Have you had a look at the book, "The effect of sterilization methods on plastics and elastomers", Plastics Design Library, 1994. ISBN

1-884207-10-3 Library of C> > I know that PTFE does not withstand gamma radiation. There are a lot > of
Reply to
Bill