How is Dextran Sulfate produced?

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how Dextran Sulfate is produced? Specifically the kind I buy from chemical supply outfits like ICN?

I'm wondering what the possibility of contaminants are in Dextran Sulfate. Sodium Dextran Sulfate administration to rodents is used as an animal model for colitis, which is inflammation of the colon. On the other hand, it seems that Dextran Sulfate is used as a drug in Japan and is also a controversial underground treatment for HIV... I'm wondering if the dextran used in inducing colitis is 'dirtier' than the dextran used as a drug in human.

Thanks for you help,

Dr. Fumitaka Hayashi snipped-for-privacy@partners.org

Reply to
Fumitaka Hayashi

You feed Blackout 2 burritos stuffed with celantro and pale green Guadalcaca peppers, squat him over a pan and within 2 hours, you get about 4 liters of the stuff, just two centrifuges away from a 97% pure effluent you can pour into your employer's coffee.

Reply to
HellPopeHuey