How to "Cap" Aluminia Membranes?

I am involved in nanobattery research and I am trying to find a way to cover the pores of an anodic aluminia membrane with a conductive surface. The problem is that these pores are only 60-70 nanometers wide. Any one who knows anything about nanobatteries will understand my problem. Currently the way that I am charging and discharging nano batteries is to sputter graphite particle on to the electroyte filed pores. However the sputtered particles are almost always a micron wide. I need to either find a wasy to sputter smaller particles or find a btter way to make idividual conductive particles over an ordered anodic aluminia membrane.

If you have any ideas or know if this has been done before please email me any information.

Thank you Michael snipped-for-privacy@utulsa.edu

Reply to
Michael DeShazer

Scientific wild ass guess time!

1) Do it by transfer. Lay down your conductive plane on a release layer or directly upon a thinned silicon membrane. Bond to your alumina. Pull off from the release layer or dissolve the few microns of silcon in caustic. Transfer works for microcircuitry. 2) Dope only the top edges or surface of the alumina grid with trace Pd(II) or Sn(II). Then electrolessly plate nickel, copper, silver... 3) Lay down a web of metallic single wall carbon nanotubes.
Reply to
Uncle Al

Carbon film deposition is common practice in SEM/EMP and TEM labs. No particles visible at nanometric scale. J.J.

Reply to
jacques jedwab

Just a thought but you'll have to look into a little on your own....

Electron deposition metalizing...possibly reverse the process and put your anode onto the carbon?

David

Reply to
Dbeardandsons1

i don't know if this will be of any use to you as i am just starting work on 3d-psc. firstly have you considered colloidal particles? and secondly do you need the pores to be empty or can you fill with metal, if so i may have a possible technique you can try. have you also considered using a 3d-psc as an electrode as it would be self supporting and also is porous? if more information is required then contact me.

Calum Dick>

Reply to
Calum Dickinson