Pleat polythene

This is purely a manufacturing question. Can someone tell me is it possible to put pleats on a polythene sheet. I need to have a polythene bag with several pleats used on it. If you know of a polythene product that uses pleats I would like to hear about it.

Thanks in advance! Pat

Reply to
Pat

Well, it depends. Is it LDPE or HDPE (etc)? What guage? How big? Is it actually sheet, or layflat? What speed? Do you need enough of it to spend significant money on it? You can do almost anything with polyethylene if you

*really* want to!

All the best

Ian Macmillan

Reply to
Ian Macmillan

Adding some heat to the process will be necessary. It will not pleat at room temperature.

John

Reply to
John Spevacek

Not sure what LDPE or HDPE means, I presume low/high density polyethylene. To answer you question - I don't know.

60 - 100 micron

Varies sizes are anticipated, 5" - 36" diameter bags and perhaps upwards.

I presume layflat, what's the difference?

This I presume you mean machine speed, this is something I cannot answer.

Telephone numbers!

Regards Pat

Reply to
Pat

I should have mentioned heat would be necessary.

Regards Pat

Reply to
Pat

Pat, generally speaking, in the guage range you mention HDPE is quite stiff, and semi opaque, while LDPE/LLDPE is more or less clear and fairly soft. In detail, all these characteristics depend on the grade of material used. Sheet is often extruded from a linear die on to a chill roller, while layflat is blown film where the bubble is collapsed into layflat tube. Probably the best approach to "pleating" would be in line with conversion, as pleated film would present windup problems, although some odd products have been folded into a box rather than wound up. Anyway, I presume you want longtitudinal pleats, but you dont say what size pleats, etc. To reliably produce volume of this product is unlikely to be a trivial exercise, and as you are evidently not familiar with the field, I recommend that you approach a converting machine manufacturer for advice and probably a telephone number quotation ;o)

All the best

Ian Macmillan

Reply to
Ian Macmillan

I have seen pleated bag made of HDPE. Forget it if LDPE or LLDPE

Reply to
Pierre