shape memory polymers

I have heard about the field of research involving shape memory polymers. Personally, this is the first time I heard of this concept. Can anyone explain what this is, or point to some relevant research?

Reply to
Igor

Mitsumi has (or had) a line of SMP's. Basically, polymer has low Tg. Heat above Tg, shape and cool it. When re-heated again over Tg, it goes back to the original shape.

Pretty slick stuff.......

Reply to
L Alpert

More marketing than research, but for a first introduction it might be helpful:

Oliver

Reply to
Oliver 'Ojo' Bedford