TEM images

Hi, I`m studying the behaviour of nanosilica particles in organic resin(in particular epoxy resin)and I`d like to see the structure of the nanocomposite before the curing process!!I have some difficulty observing the sample with transmission electron microscopy (TEM)because before the curing process it is a gel and it`s very difficult to get a thin film! Moreover, in the specimens chamber the sample can heat up due to the energy transfer process and I don`t know if it will be damaged! Can you tell me something about it or do you know if there is another technique to look at this kind of systhem?

Regards Martina Roso

Reply to
Martina Roso

I am curious: is this resin a commercial product?

Sorry, can't help you with your question.

Oliver

Reply to
Oliver 'Ojo' Bedford

Hi, I`m studying the behaviour of nanosilica particles in organic resin(in particular epoxy resin)and I`d like to see the structure of the nanocomposite before the curing process!!I have some difficulty observing the sample with TEM because before the curing process it is a gel and it`s very difficult to get a thin film! Moreover, in the specimens chamber the sample can heat up due to the energy transfer process and I don`t know if it will be damaged! Can you tell me something about it or do you know if there is another technique to look at this kind of systhem?

Regards Martina Roso

Reply to
Martina Roso

Hello MArtina,

What´s about X rays (german Röngenkleinwinkelstreuung) or cold neutrons, but this seems to be to expensive...

i guess your problem is the dipergation of the nanoparticles in the resin...

I don´t know if it works, but may be that DEA may be a possibility to observe the dispergation if there are acclomarations...

with acclomarations the ionviscosity sholuld be a bit lower than with a good dispergation...

I guess you find acclomarations in the cured material and the question is if they are there before curing...

Michael I am not a bug I am a undocumented feature

Reply to
Michael Erwerle

Hi, the polymer matrix is a commercially available product, but not the nanocomposite...

Reply to
Martina Roso

Is there another material you can embed your resin into? If so, you could then freeze and microtome your samples. Normally one would do this with epoxy, but that's your matrix material. So, that choice is out. Could you embed it in a phenolic resin and cure it without curing your epoxy?

Larry

Reply to
Larry Effler

Some guys from NIST have reported some TEM pictures, the paper is at

You may contact these guys for some more information.

Xin

Reply to
Xin Zhang

Try

I work there and we have a SEM that has a great LV mode for possibly looking that resin without a lot of charging.

Reply to
fisharia