Water permeability

Hi!

I am searching for a material which has mechanical and optical properties like PC but has a significant lower water permeability. Any hints?

TIA, Oliver

Reply to
Oliver 'Ojo' Bedford

Teflon A? I think I read something about a Teflon Type which has optical properties like PC, the machanicl properties should be good...

Michael I am not a bug I am a undocumented feature

Reply to
Michael Erwerle

PVC should be better. Depends on your needs. Lowest water and gas permeable, transparent material is glass ;) Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

I remember reading something about transparent nanocomposites with good barrier properties, ceramic filled PA's. Guess it was in nanotechweb.org a bit over a month ago.

Reply to
dave.lister

message

Don't think you need a composite. A thin layer of glass would do it. Most of the molecules pile up at the surface, Ficke's law for the physical chemists. Similar to metalized plastics like the Mylar balloons that will retain helium. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

After doing some tests this is the only option left (on polycarbonate).

What would be the easiest way to do this?

Regards, Oliver

Reply to
Oliver 'Ojo' Bedford

Don't really know. Assume it would involve coating with silicates and someway to fuse to a glassy surface. You might try a patent search. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Out of curiosity, I did a little further Googling, and see that there are commercial processes out there for improving impermeability of plastics. They may not quite be a glass film but you may find one to meet your needs. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo