what melamine overlay paper is made of?

hi I want to design my own melamine overlay paper for dinnerware, but nobody in my area knows or is not willing to give info on how this is done. I do not want to
put the design on the finished products of melamine. I want to do this when the melamine powder is under the press and being shaped. I do not know which kind of paper is used, which kind of print method is done and which kind of post print or coating is applied onto the prints.