creating elevations

Hello,

I try to draw 3d in autocad, but i'd like to know how to work with elevetions.... Can anybody help me?

Reply to
sander

Not familiar with the term "elevations", sounds vaguely architectural. Is this something you want to do with Pro/ENGINEER. We do a lot of feature creation based on sketched cross sections. We can help you with that, if you'd care to describe your goals in a little more detail. For answers to questions about AutoDesk products, go to comp.cad.autocad.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Elevations are front views in architecture or civil engineering drawings.

Reply to
ms

Okay, that makes sense. But what does this have to do with trying to do something in 3d? converting 3 view drawings to 3d? descriptive geometry to make elevations? Can we help this guy? Seems like we need a little more information.

Reply to
David Janes

I think what he wants to do is create civil/architectural drawings from 3d models--not a good fit for ProE. It is also very difficult to do using plain vanilla autocad. He should check out some of the autocad packages (revit?) or third-party add-ons for autocad (softdesk?), or perhaps look at Microstation.

Reply to
ms

there are multiple ways to do it

you can for example draw a square, then you make a region of th

square (command "region") and then you can extrude this square t give it a specified height and angle of draf

another way is to use the predefined shapes: square or tube and simpl

specify the basepoint and then the height or the endpoin

you can revolve regions to get special shapes as wel. and you ca

intersect different solids to substract for example a tube from square to create a hole in the square

hope this helpes a bi

hendri

Reply to
Hendrik

I think "SANDER" may be referring to the "elevation" setting in AutoCAD. I seem to remember (from my dark AutoCAD 12 & 13 days) there was a setting called "elevation." You would enter "elevation" in the command line and give it a value which represented an offset distance in the "Z-direction" of the default coordinate system. If I remember correctly; it was only useable in the default "Z-direction" which was normal to the screen (...or some other such stupid limitation). Once set, all geometry drawn in the 2D, "X-Y plane" was then offset in the "Z" direction by the value you had entered. The only useful purpose I ever had for it was when I needed text or lines to show up over a filled area in a 2D view. There wasn't much point of using it in AutoCAD 3D modeling because I could just create a new coordinate system wherever I needed one.

SANDER, You should probably post your question in an AutoCAD news group to get better advice.

Reply to
md1