Customizing Wildfire sketcher icons

I started digging into customizing sketcher icons soon after Wildfire came out.
You might have noticed that there are some new icons ~ circle from three points,
curve from three tangents, line from two tangents. And, you probably noticed them
because PTC plastered them on top of the pile, as the defaults in their
respective
split buttons. So,
instead of the most used center-radius circle icon on top, there was the 3-point
circle icon, etc. I suppose they could have just mentioned the new icons in the
release notes and waited for everyone to find and try them. But, there's nothing
in the release notes, or anywhere else, for that matter, so maybe they just
decided to rub our noses in them. Well, I got the point, about the first week,
and
then I just wanted to bury the new icons at the bottom of the pile.
Seemed simple enough to fix: just go to 'Tools>Customize Screen>Commands' and
from
the tree, select Sketcher Tools........ and all the icons are greyed out. Okay,
yeah, of course, who would want to be able to set up and manipulate tool bars
unless you were actually in the application they apply to. Doesn't matter who'd
want to, you can't. You have to be in Sheet Metal to customize sheetmetal
toolbars, you have to be in Mechanism Design to do it's icons, etc.
Okay, so I start a feature or redefine one so that I can get to sketcher so that
can go to 'Tools>Customize Screen' and........ Customize Screen is greyed out. HA
HA Very funny. Real cute. A little Catch-22 from Pro/GOOFY!
That's where I was some months ago. This weekend, I was definitely going to post
to this group to see if anyone had any better experirnece. But, as I was doing
this, I
thought of something I wanted to to check out: what about other sketch-type
functions, specifically, detailing's sketcher? was it similarly restricted from
accessing Customize Screen? Not only can you customize the icons, but the set of
icons almost duplicates those used for feature sketches, including some of the
flyout groups. Plus you can do parametric sketching.
I also tried customizing the buttons while in a Sketched Curve, though it seemed
to me that while Customize Screen was available and the icons were available in
Sketcher Tools, some of them still were greyed out, meaning that not all sketcher
functionality was available. But with these successes, I made an observation that
was the key to figuring it all out: both of these functions were still on the old
Menu Manager interface. So, I tried on more old style solid feature creation
tool,
the Blend with parallel, regular sketched sections. Sure enough, when in
sketcher,
Customize Screen was available and I successfully moved the offending icons to
the
bottom of the pile, saved the changes to config.win and got back the new defaults
with the next new part I started.
So, you can customize sketcher icons, but not when you are creating a feature
that
uses the new Dashboard interface. Don't know why, maybe they've fixed it by now
and I'm just behind the times. But, in case you are too, here's the perennial
Pro/e 'workaround'.
David Janes
Reply to
David Janes