Grapics problem

In the model graphics area I keep getting rectangular blocks of other graphics under the pointer and the size of the mouse pointer. this is recent and didn't occur until about 6 months after insstallation

Reply to
Robert

This is tough one because so many things can contribute. I heard of a similar graphics/pointer/selection problem that arose for no apparent reason, until, under questioning, it was revealed that the user had recently switched from a plain, simple 3-button PS2 mouse to a USB scroll mouse and some USB timing or driver issue was causing the misfire of the screen repaint. I've also heard of other pointing problems due not to the video but the mouse drivers, particularly MS Intellipoint drivers; and then there was a similar, apparently driver related problem that was actually due to someone changing the monitor refresh rate to one that was not optimum for the monitor. Other times it's been another program that's installed software/drivers that were not optimum for Pro/e or that messed with video driver settings, etc. The fact that it arose without apparent cause (and I'm assuming no change in Pro/e, including no new builds installed) leads me to advise putting your system back to the state it was in before the problem started. The XP System Restore has saved me from many such anomalies. And, since this could as easily be a hardware or system problem as a Pro/e one, I'd suggest looking at things like the pointer resolution and any mode switches on the mouse that could effect signaling. Also, those with laptops/LCD screens have had mouse "trails", something such as you describe, that were meant to make it easier to see the pointer on low contrast screens, generally a settable option in many drivers. But I'd bet that OpenGL wasn't designed or optimized to handle this kind of graphics well.

David Janes

PS, In general, I'm in sympathy with Gil Alsberg's plea for more detailed questions: better answers require better questions. If you want proof, check out comp.cad.solidworks where, on average, the quantity and quality of participation is very high and intelligent, detailed questions get the replies they deserve. We, on the other hand, seem to still be reeling under the ancient Usenet admonitions, harangues, screeds against long windedness, hogging the bandwidth, etc. Since the technical basis for this kind of niggling conservationism died with the advent of microwave transmission, fiber optic networks, super high speed switching and super dense data storage, I think the culture needs an overhaul, as well.

Reply to
David Janes

First, like David said, consider what has changed on the computer. If this item has a driver, make sure it's the latest.

If you don't have any such leads to follow, try setting your Pro/E option "graphics" from OpenGL to win32_gdi. Re-start Pro/E, and if the problem has gone away, you are probably dealing with a graphics driver problem. (Set back graphics to opengl) Update your graphics card driver with the latest download, and that doesn't help turn off all the mouse and window effects too.

Dave

Robert wrote:

Reply to
dgeesaman

I have no restore points. Why I don't know. The settings alllow for them.

I've removed drivers (Logitech Setpoint 3.1), reinstalled video & mouse drivers and more. As far as I know it only occurs in Pro ( which I've installed another build which didn't cure the problem)

This is now more of a challenge than a necessity.

I've also restored Pro from a backup that I know didn't have the symptoms. Didn't cure it.

Reply to
Robert

FYI turning off mouse shadow eliminated the problem, though something changed to cause it. I would need to delete all driver files manually as uninstall didn;t work.

Reply to
Robert