huge hole pattern

I have to manage a very large hole pattern (>1000 holes). The calculation time is very long and sometimes I can't get any result. Using "Identical" option in pattern function is better and faster. But, anyway, the management on graphic point of view is very difficult. Any idea to solve the problem ?

Thanks

Pier

Reply to
Pier Dil

will help with regen times. Read the entire thread. There appears to be a bug in the works and patterning the group (as per tutorial) won't happen.

Nothing other than adjusting LOD (or other display settings), turn off highlighting, maybe creating a rep with pattern suppressed. (?)

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Are these hole features countersunk or counterbored? Just curious. At any rate, you could just first add a pattern of circular datum curve features(now called 'Sketch' feature in Wildfire) to represent the hole features the majority of the time. Then if you need actual hole features for cross-sectional drawing views, volume calculations, etc., you could add a pattern of actual hole features as a 'Reference Pattern' that references the pattern of existing datum curve features. And again, the rest of the time you could have the hole feature pattern suppressed for performance reasons.

Just a thought. This may not suffice for your application, but it's something I've done before for the same problem that you're up against now.

Ron M.

Reply to
Ron M.

hj

Ok It's a good idea. I'll do that. Anyway the holes are simple ones. Thanks Pier

Ron M. ha scritto:

Reply to
Pier Dil

I've had this problem too. Not that the features are that intense but the more you do the slower it gets. You'd figure if it can do the first 100 in one second why can't it do them all at that rate. But by the time it's on feature 2500 it's very, very slow. So what I did was create a block of features using surfaces. So maybe you'd pattern 100 holes. Then create a surface that contains all those features. Then copy offset that single surface. Then pattern the surface that already has 100 holes. Then use that pattern to create a cut. Hope that makes sense. Can be a pain depending on what you're doing, but can also save regen time.

Reply to
Dave Ignaczak

For a large number of holes, it is faster if you create the hole geometry as surface feature, pattern the surface feature, and do a single cutout using the mass of surface features.

As for the graphics issues, there isn't a good answer. Anytime you divide a part surface into rounded holes, the number of triangles used in the display goes up significantly - the more circular edges in the model, the higher the count. If you're in shaded mode, make sure the wireframe edges are turned off, and set the model display accuracy to the lowest level you can handle. Or simply buy a faster graphics card.

Unless you're designing FPGA connectors, that number of holes is usually for cosmetic reasons. Like the others suggested, see if a sketch or projected curve will give you the effect you want.

Dave

Reply to
dgeesaman