intralink upgrade M021 bundled / unbundled

Hi out there

Can anyone tell me the difference between a bundled and an unbundled installation??

The instruction that came with the discs describes 2 different ways to upgrad and i do not excactly know which one to choose.

We are runing 3.3 2003 290 with replication

NielsC

Reply to
Niels Christensen

Hello Niels, The bundled version includes the Oracle runtime Database. The unbundled requiers a installed Oracle Database version. PTC has yet this two versions because many costumer have there owen Oracle licenses. - When your previus installation was mad with the Oracle Version from The Intralink CD set use the bundled one.

med vendlig hilsen fra tyskland

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Hochmuth

Hi Ingo,

Thanks for the info - i'm running bundled then.

Mfg NielsC

Reply to
Niels Christensen

After being burned many times while doing Intralink upgrades and following the PTC instructions you really must perform the upgrade on a pilot system. The pilot installation does not actually require a license to install and run, only the client does. The method I ended up with during my last upgrade was nothing like the suggested method by PTC and required extensive trial and error to develop.

To perform a pilot installation simply duplicate your current install on a server. Export a dump file from your current system. Import the dump file into the pilot system. Install the client linking it to the license server you usually use but the data server you just installed. Make sure the client works. Finally, perform an upgrade on the pilot system and test the client upgrade as well.

The first time it didn't work for me I thought I was a dunce or something because it didn't work. But, eventually, I found the error of my ways and made it work. Now here is the kicker ... all that work on the pilot system didn't really do me much good because I apparently didn't accurately enough duplicate the real server. As a result NEW problems arose but, the experience I gained on the pilot system helped me to solve the problem (no answers to any of the issues I encountered were available on the PTC web site ... if you are reading this PTC put ALL of the problems and solutions in the knowledge base and KEEP IT UP TO DATE).

PS Beware the user that never checks his work in. Without fail that will be the one and only client system that won't upgrade properly.

Reply to
bellsouth

Thanks for the info

I just discovered another problem.

Apparantly the update on the new cd's shipped is only working going from

2002 470 to the new M021. I'm running 2003 290 and i get the message that i am trying to update from a none valid version. Meaning i have to downgrade to 2002 470 and the update to M021 - isn't that nice!!

My VAR has made a call but i havent heard from him yet.

Really nice to figure that when everybody is ready and set for the upgrade has checked in their work both locally and at remote locations. Should be possible to invoice the lost time to PTC for f*cking up my time.

BR Niels

Reply to
Niels Christensen