Learning CAD

This won't help you much, but may provide some perspective. When I purchased Pro/E I purchased a maintenance contract which allows access to PTC's knowledge base which has "Suggested technique..." articles that cover most of the basics as well as some advanced topics. It took me about a month of long days (I was still trying to make deadlines which wouldn't have been at all pressing were it not for the jump into the deep end) to get up to speed using those, the various tutorials available on the net, etc. I'm not especially swift, but I did have a background in 3D solid and surface modeling, parametric relationships, top down design techniques, CAD drafting, etc. It is a "do-able" deal, but starting off cold you will find it frustrating and time consuming, especially if working in a vacuum. You will need someone to help with the usual dumb questions we all ask.

You might want to check out proecentral.com. I believe they sell SE and will give you a membership (normally fifteen bucks or so) which will open up their forum (another potential resource) for your questions. Their forum allows binary attachments which will help (a model's worth a thousand pictures) I don't know if you'd forfeit anything buying from them. They probably will have some links to books as well. A note on books: get something on the version you are going to be using. The interface and procedural differences between 2001, Wildfire, Wildfire2 will present a very unpleasant if not insurmountable hurdle for someone working without a frame of reference.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Sorry, this is probably misleading. I believe that file can be exchanged between SE users only (?) so users of the commercial version won't be able to offer any help based on your models. If this is incorrect, hope someone will correct me.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Philip

If you are looking for a SolidWorks community college class in New Jersey, try Mark Semmel - snipped-for-privacy@kfwa.com (Eastern Region SolidWorks users group), I believe there regional users group meetings are held at a community college in North Jersey. State community colleges are going to be the lowest cost, but be sure to check out any benefits as a veteran or through retraining offices in the state.

I would also look at the evening programs in technical high schools.

The department of retraining and unemployment may also be able to help by providing colleges in the area with specific courses. My college lists the CAD programs we offer through the agencies that assist people required to enhance their skill sets. Please note, to get money from the state requires substantial paperwork and a meeting with a school official usually in the financial aid office or with the instructor teaching a course or responsible for a program. Usually the unemployment official wants proof that learning SolidWorks will assist in getting you employment. A quick search on Monster board will usually show proof. Usually these programs for financial assistance are for a certficate program made up of a series of courses

- not just one class.

The SolidWorks personal edition is also available and training sessions are available with SolidWorks resellers in your area.

My publisher,

has placed 100-page .pdf file on the web site. Check out the .pdf files under SolidWorks Tutorial or Engineering Design. These will step you through simple parts an get you started.

The online SolidWorks tutorials in Online help are also very good to utilize. Then comes practice - try to create parts, assemblies and drawings are your own. If you don't have a current project to work on

- make one up, Your engineering background gives you the knowledge - SolidWorks is the application.

Regards, Marie

Reply to
mplanchard

Thanks. Most of the community coleges are teaching AutoCad.

Reply to
Philip