Memory error

Well, on several winxp machines with 2 gig of RAM we have problem with Pro/ENGINEER memory error while opening master rep of an assembly. Trying to discover what is the problem. In task manager, memory usage shows about 1.9 GB and Pro/E crashes. I think that the problem is with winxp, because somewhere on net someone wrote that 32-bit OS can't address more than 2 GB for one process. Is it true, and if it isn't please help.

THNX snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
dida128

There's a 3GB switch for XP but it isn't much good as the Pro kernel is limited to about 1.7GB. (There's a patch which stretches this to about 1.9 which we use - I assume you're using 200I^2 - PTC should be able to point you at this. )

I'd suggest carving your master rep up into functional subassemblies, and shrinkwrapping them. (You'll probably need to use absolute accuracy to get this to work, and as ever, I recommend a value of 0.02, but that depends very much upon the smalles features you create..) - You can then create a simplified rep of your product with the shrink wraps in place, and just swap 'em out for the real functional subassemblies you need as real background for work you're doing.

Hopefully PTC will see the light, and 'do' a 64 bit version of 200I^2 as well as Wildfire (I know, not yet) which will make a lot of memory problems disappear with 64 bit machines. This is a couple of years away yet though.

Reply to
John Wade

On Win2K, we see Pro/E disappear at about 1.4GB for the xtop process with Wildfire.

I won't hold my breath for a WinXP64 for anything prior to Wildfire and maybe not even WF1.

Reply to
Ben Loosli

Somehow I doubt that they'll re-release a 64-bit version of a five year old product :-)

Reply to
hamei

there is a solution:

- increase swap file to at least 4000

- in boot.ini you need to increase memory handling for single process (find directions on internet, use bootcfg utility, i think its "bootcfg /Raw "/3GB" /A /ID 1)

- in i486_nt\obj\ folder enter line like this from shell: "imagecfg -l xtop.exe" (its L and not 1 in the line).

this will allow xtop process up to 3 GB.

hope this helps

sugarsmoking

yeah, buy a Fuel and get 8 gigs of memory support without doing ANY of these crappy workarounds :-)

Reply to
hamei

Can't see them doing a 64-bit version of 2000i2 ;)

PTC has 64-bit versions on SUN, Silicon Graphics, IBM, and I think HP.

Don't they have a 64-bit Linux version for IA64 systems? Sometimes getting the most basic facts from PTC is difficult.

I wonder what the big deal is with 64-bit support (why is it taking so long?). For a properly written program on an SGI machine you just add

-64 to the compiler argument and voila!.

Regards,

Reply to
Anonymous

I have read that the SGI version is *only* available in a

64-bit format. I guess if you're running on a Tezro or a Fuel the slight slowdown of 64-bit isn't noticeable .....
Reply to
hamei

: : yeah, buy a Fuel

Quel, what's a Fuel!?! And if you're selling them, why would I plunk down the cash to get one? Oh, yeah, and how much moolaah makes me the proud owner of a Foolaah.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

no, why should I be ? You post a lot about Pro/E - are you selling it ?

Notice the title of the thread ? If you are having problems with memory management would be one reason. Irix Wildfire is 64-bit. That means a huge memory space for large assemblies. That's what the question was. A Fuel would be one answer. A Tezro is another :

I think list on a Fuel is about ten grand. There's some dual cpu Tezros on the bargain page for seventeen. Discounts apply to these things, just like PTC - join the developer's program, get 30% off, that kind of thing.

Reply to
hamei