Memory Problems

We are trying to load a very large assembly in Wildfire. The workstation is a dual 2.8Ghz IBM Z-pro with 3GB RAM.

When memory usage by Xtop approaches 1.35GB, Pro/E will suddenly disappear and the designer loses everything. then it is 30-40 minutes to try and reload the assembly.

We think one of the problems is that the design team uses a lot of copy-geom features in their assemblies for references instead of map parts. They also use heavy models instead of using shrink-wrapped assemblies.

Does anyone have any tricks for dealing with large assemblies in Wildfire?

We are contemplating a Unix box with 4-8GB of RAM. Problem with that is only the one user would be able to load the entire machine. If we go this way, what Unix works best with Wildfire? The last Unix box we had for UG was a DEC Alpha running OSF/1.

Also, are there any problems with mixing Unix and Windows files in Intralink?

Reply to
Ben Loosli

I typically expect xtop to fall over at about 1.7gb, so this is wierd. When you use copy geom, try putting the parts you copy somewhere not on your pro search path so you don't load them, and pay very carful attention to whether you reference any in your assemblies as you may create irresolvable circular references: are you creating crc files?

Reply to
John Wade

Check out the Sun Blade 2500 at

check out the following link:

No. Nor is there any problems without Intralink.

Reply to
Randy Jones

Octanes can go to 8 gigs. Just for fun, talk to greg douglas at

Tell him some pinko chinese commy referred you to him ...

ask him for a bonus deal on a fairly new Octane.

You could get the dual-user option, but that's still only two seats ...

Irix is very nice .... limited to 64-bit tho, think I read somewhere.

Reply to
hamei

We also had the same problem saving big assembly files in Wildfire a week ago but here is our solution to the problem. Pro/E is accessing more than 2 GB of virtual memory. A 32-bit operating systems are limited to a maximum of 4 gigabyte of memory addressing and half of it is for the system resources. Here is what I have done to resolve the problem. I modified my boot.ini to include the 3GB switch and increased my virtual memory to 3GB, install Pro/E locally and patch xtop.exe to access more than 2GB of memory. Since them we never have the problem crashing when saving big assemblies.

Reply to
Ansel Valdez

I think you need to have Windows 2000 Advanced server or XP to use the /3GB switch. Windows 2000 Professional is not enough (I think).

/Bjorn

"Ansel Valdez" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Bjorn