Is It Me or is SW2008 Reeaaallly ssllooowww

I have recently upgraded or maybe downgraded to SW2008, I'm still not sure. I have brand new sparkly Dell optiplex, would have preferred a Precision, a VTI 3300 and 3.25 Gb of ram. Generally SW runs ok but gets very slow with large assemblies. I get approx 2 - 3 CTD's or blue screens per day, on large assemblies this goes up to 2 per hour. Not very efficient but I do have a SW stress cube which helps no end. Haven't had it so bad since SW2001+. Not only that I've also got MS office 2007!!

I was just wondering what everybody elses opinion was, I really do like SW2008 but I am becoming a little despondent, after all it has been out some time and these issues should have been sorted out by now. Perhaps its just me and my machine.

TIA

Reply to
mik

Mik,

You didn't say what you were using. Sounds like 2004, but I could be wrong.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

2008 sp0.0 was a very slow pig. Upgrade to sp3.1.

BTW, you DID have ALL antivirus services turned off, when you installed Saladworks, didn't you ???

Do a Saladworks rx and check that you system is setup correctly. All green ticks is best.

Are you using the Saladworks certified graphics card driver?

Have you set your graphics card to Saladworks profile?

As already mentioned, state your system specs.

Reply to
pfarnham

Hi, thanks for your response.

Graphics ATI 3300 with the latest driver as recommended by SW RAM 3Gb Proccessor 2.0GHz Intel Duo Solidworks Rx all green AV Turned off during install OS XP Pro SP 3.1

I can't think of anything else

Reply to
mik

how about:

are you working over the network? is your AV scanning SW files over the network? do you have hyperthreading enabled? do you have verification on rebuild enabled? are you working in realview with shadows? do you have antialiasing set? where is your image quality slider? are you working in display with edges?

** Posted from
**
Reply to
ChamberPot

Performance difference with/without RealView?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Yes, it is SLOW!

Everyone is going to try and find some reason but again,.. ALL SERVICE SP'S of SW2008 and SW2007 are SLOW!

Otherwise and NOT related,.. your crashes are most likely a bad install, graphics card issue or driver. Uninstall/Reinstall... software and drivers,.. clean up your hard- drive.

And, as someone noted.. if you are hooked to a network..for a test,... load you're big arse asm locally (pack and go) to see if there is a major difference.

=2E.

Reply to
zxys

Make sure all the files are converted to sw2008

Also I'm not a big fan of ATI cards

Get newest drivers from ATI , just that the driver you use is SW tested doesn't mean that is tested in your machine configuration.

3.25 GB of RAM sound odd, did you pop some chips from your old machine?

Run some long term memory test, it could be heat or something related to it

My SW kicks me out once awhile but never Blue screen me ..

And yes SW 2008 is slow but you should try running it on Vista LOL

Reply to
mr.T

Probably 4 installed. 32 bit Windows won't report several hundred of the higher Megs because they are reserved for hardware addressing. Things like video card RAM (not shared RAM, either).

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Hi, thanks for your response.

Graphics ATI 3300 with the latest driver as recommended by SW RAM 3Gb Proccessor 2.0GHz Intel Duo Solidworks Rx all green AV Turned off during install OS XP Pro SP 3.1

I can't think of anything else

Just a thought, have you tried the 3GB switch in XP? It sometime helps those large assemblies Is your virtual memory set, min & max, to the max?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Eckstein