ProE Tree Column refresh/regenerate

Hi everyone-

What I have done is create relations and then display several of the parameters in tree columns. The problem is that when I change the values of the parameters, they do not automatically update in the main window (sometimes they update if you change it more than once, but it is unpredictable).

If you don't know what I'm talking about: under the 'Settings' tab in the ProE interface, there is a selection 'Tree Columns', which allows you to add columns to the layer structure window, such as Model Parameters. I am using Wildfire 2.0 M120.

I am new to this newsgroup so if there is a post or guideline on etiquette, please point me to it- thank you! If you cannot tell, I am also pretty new to Pro Engineer ;)

sincerely, David Garber PTP / 24-E150

Reply to
David Garber

Dave,

I don't have an answer for you. This newsgroup is pretty dead though.

Try either

and the email exploder (prouser group)

or

and the ProE forum.

Good Luck!

Reply to
peterbrown77

We ain't dead, just a little sleepy. Peter's suggestion is a good one, though.

Are you regenerating the part(s) and / or assembly? I'm never sure when something needs regen'g or not (there's an indicator on the status bar but I never remember to look at it) so when in doubt....

It might be noted that Pro/E will every now and then fuss about regen'g. Model Player or just RMB / Edit Definitiion / OK some early model feature will force it to wake up.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Welcome, David Garber, to this dead group.

Based upon your description (changed a paramter value, didn't update model), I'd agree with Jeff. Editing parameters in relations is like double clicking a feature on the model, getting the dimensions to show and changing one. If it's a sketched section dimension, you'll see the internal sketch change size, but the part does not automatically change; you have to do 'Edit>Regenerate' or hit the regen icon.

As far as participation goes, I personally appreciate people giving some detail of their problem in the question, including such things as the rev of Pro/e people are using, what you are trying to accomplish, not just what buttons you pushed. Present enough breadth and depth of detail that we get enough of the picture so that we can help you. The best answers need the best questions.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

is what you are changing tied to a piece of geometry? unless a regen occurs due to a geometry change proe doesn't hit the rel table..least that has been my understanding

parameters yes..relations only if you force a regen

also I concure on mcad and ptcuser..moves a little faster there than here

Reply to
cad/cam/guy

Thanks for the advice on the board- I will be sure to try those 'more lively' boards as well.

Ok, a better explanation of what I am trying to do: I have a simple disk, with 3 holes poked in it. I want to check and display that the distance between the holes and between the holes and the edge of the disk is above some minimum thickness. I measured the distances between the holes and made these feature parameters, then used the relations window to do comparision (if dim1 doesn't hit the rel table..least that has been my understanding

Reply to
David Garber

I should have said this at the start- all I want to do is "output" or "write out" information for the user to see (i.e. does the model satisfy the minimum thickness requirement? YES or NO). Displaying it in a model tree column was the best thing I found. But if you know of another way to do this, I would love to hear it ;-)

Reply to
David Garber

Not sure if this is something you'd want or not; a 3D annotation in the form of a driven dim or note referencing an existing dim or parameter, datum evaluate feature (I think they have their own set of regen / update problems), ....

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Yeah, you're right ~ it's very nice to see constantly updated values in the model tree. The new thing in WF2 is the 'footer' and the ability to move parameters, especially those that should update after a regen, into the 'footer'. Analysis features ('Insert>Model Datum>Analysis') which can capture a measure, such as you are trying to do, into an appropriate parameter, are a prime candidate. You could also, if you wanted to get really fancy, create a parameter, such as TOO_THIN, as a YES/NO parameter, set it to a default of NO, then do a relation which constantly evaluated your DISTANCE parameter (created by the analysis feature) and when it passed a trigger value, changed the TOO_THIN parameter to YES. So your model tree could have the raw number of the DISTANCE parameter, plus the YES/NO evaluation in a column called Too_thin. While you were in the NO values, you'd be golden; then, you'd have to keep an eye out for just a shift to YES, which would set off bells, whistles and sirens.

Doesn't seem undoable to me.

Reply to
David Janes

I think I have done what you said, but the model is not regenerating the parameters in the model tree columns even when I change the geometry of the part.

I created a feature parameter ('DISTANCE', distance between two of the holes) and moved it to the regeneration footer. Although feature parameters is an option under the model tree columns window, I do not see my feature parameter displayed there...

I have a model parameter equivalent to "TOO_THIN"; in the relations window I have:

X = DISTANCE - (Radius of Hole 1) - (Radius of Hole 2) IF X < MIN_THICKNESS TOO_THIN = YES ELSE TOO_THIN = NO ENDIF

'MIN_THICKNESS' is a user defined parameter. When I change the geometry of the part and regenrate the model, 'X' and 'TOO_THIN' do not update in the model tree columns. I guess it is not reevaluating the relations when I regenerate? But I don't know why. (as was mentioned before, going to 'Edit Definition' of a feature causes a full regeration including these parameters).

Reply to
David Garber

you can create a curve and tie its values to your model tree parameter,

my_curv_len=tree_value.. what ever naming scheme you are using hide the curve and when you change the tree value.. geometry will change forcing a regen and running the rel table

i'd get away from using proe's names such as d1,d2,d3, etc and go ahead and name them ..with a name that means something will make it a little easier to follow

steal from peter < the geo parameters > to pay paul

Reply to
cad/cam/guy