removing favorites

We recently had our server go down so all my favorites no long work. I now have several directories I would like to remove. The only way I have been able to do that in the past we to go to the directory that I want to remove and click on the "favorites" icon, my choices are "remove location" and "browse favorites" so I click on "remove location". That works fine if you can navagate to that location but now that our server is back up, the server is at a different location so the original location doesn't exsist. Anyone know how to remove the old favorites I have in my list?

Reply to
nancynivoy

An added note, I am using WF3

Reply to
nancynivoy

We recently had our server go down so all my favorites no long work. I now have several directories I would like to remove. The only way I have been able to do that in the past we to go to the directory that I want to remove and click on the "favorites" icon, my choices are "remove location" and "browse favorites" so I click on "remove location". That works fine if you can navagate to that location but now that our server is back up, the server is at a different location so the original location doesn't exsist. Anyone know how to remove the old favorites I have in my list?

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\[yourname]\Application Data\PTC\ProENGINEER\Wildfire\.wf\.Settings and delete the file called web_favorites.xml

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

Thanks for that.

As a curiosity I tried to ferret out the record keeper. Tried install directory text files and the registry. I keep forgetting that Windows hidey hole (hidden in plain sight?) and shouldn't.

Out of curiosity (again, and if it's of interest); where would it be on a Unix (Mozilla?) system? Or is there even a comparable 'feature'?

Reply to
gluteous maximus equus

David Janes wrote: > ... web_favorites.xml

Thanks for that.

As a curiosity

Yeah, that's how I found it, not long ago, while trying to figure out what was going on in that whole area of the OS. With Pro/E, you never know. They try to be completely self-contained because of their one-size-fits-all distribution: max in common, small adaptations, all on a few CDs, the same ones no matter what your OS. PTCSetup takes care of the rest. In this case, the Browser business is so far out of their normal installation, I think they did the right thing in making it more app related, putting the data files where similar ones are stored for other apps. Plus, they're trying to be very JAVAish, might have something to do with it.

Out of curiosity (again, and if it's of interest); where would it be on a Unix (Mozilla?) system? Or is there even a comparable 'feature'?

Just a guess, based on above, that it'd be where Mozilla normally stores its bookmarks, but in a folder called PTC etc.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

It would be $HOME/.wf/.Settings/web_favorites.xml

Reply to
Randy Jones

Thanks, Randy.

Reply to
gluteous maximus equus

- snipped-for-privacy@o40g2000prn.googlegroups.com...

ER\Wildfire\.wf\.Settings and delete the file called web_favorites.xml

Thanks, of course my computer isn't set up with the same path so I just did a search on the entire c: drive but came up with no such file, nothing on the server that we store our files either. Any other suggestions?

Reply to
nancynivoy

David, even though I could not find this file on my computer, the guy I was helping who had the problem found it exactly where you said it was. For some reason, my computer is different, I don't have the "application data" in my computer but that's ok, I don't have this problem on my computer anyway! The guy who has the problem, also named David, sends you a big THANKS!

Data\PTC\ProENGINEER\Wildfire\.wf\.Settings and delete the file called web_favorites.xml

Reply to
nancynivoy

David, even though I could not find this file on my computer, the guy I was helping who had the problem found it exactly where you said it was. For some reason, my computer is different, I don't have the "application data" in my computer but that's ok, I don't have this problem on my computer anyway! The guy who has the problem, also named David, sends you a big THANKS! >

Glad to help. BTW, the file and directory structure may not be created until you use the new WF Browser to create Favorites which could explain why yours is different.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes