Simplified Reps Filtered by Rule

I have a LARGE assembly (1000

Reply to
TSLEngineering

Is there a way to search for multiple parts at one time in the find feature of Pro/E?

I have found that i can open up a simp rep, redefine it and use Find to select the parts that I want Included/Excluded which solves my question above. Now i want to know the syntax for finding mulitple parts with the Find function. i.e. want to find PartA and PartB ive tried

Name--> Is equal to ---> PartA, PartB PartA AND PartB, PartA OR PartB, PartA & PartB,

None of these seemed to work

Reply to
TSLEngineering

Not relevant to "rules", but...

Which "Find" tool are you trying to use; Model Tree [Tree / Find] or [Edit / Find, ]?

I think you'll want to use the latter.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

edit/find is the find function used. I have found the query function within the find function but I still have to perform alot of cutting and pasting from my parts database into the query. I hoping to be able to generate a string i.e. PartA & PartB....&PartAAA that i could just paste into the find prompt... is there a level or programming language in Pro/E were you can actually program macros a-la VB script in excel?

Reply to
TSLEngineering

mmmm ... maybe someone that really knows something can help with that.

I Build Query, in "Value" type AN3* (you can use wildcards), click Add New (accept "or"), type the first few characters of some other name identifier, click the drop down arrow and scroll for the particular item, Add New, etc. ...

I don't know how the real guys might go about it, have only recently gotten familiar with the Find function myself (and found it to be pretty quick once you get the hang of it).

One of a kind (one or two instances) I'll pick in the graphics screen or model tree on another pass, Menu: View / Representation / Exclude. Update the rep.

Flushing excluded entities from memory now and than will speed up the process if things are doggin.

HTH a bit til something better comes along.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Thanks! Yup I have been using the wildcard in the build query function. Pro/e was definately lagging around with all of those excluded entities and crashing with memory errors as often as it could. thanks for the tip. Is there a better software for working with large assemblies... say over 3000 small parts? Of course I could split up what Im working on but still to do that, i need to open the large assembly. Catia?

Reply to
TSLEngineering

I'm not the guy to ask, but since ... `;^) ... neither of us have anything better to do...

I don't have the background or scope to know, but I'd guess that for working on a PC that Pro/E is about as good as it gets for working large data sets, especially if you are talking about working with a "foundation" type package in the $5K US price range.

What sort of hardware are you working with? 3000 parts (and I imagine your talking "instances"?) doesn't qualify for "large" (all things being relative).

Reply to
Jeff Howard