unbend rod is it possible?

I need to show unbend rod as here

Is it possible to meke it such as sheetmetal?

Regards Ziomall

Reply to
Ziomall

Is it possible to meke it such as sheetmetal?

What about using a sheetmetal part, approximately the width of your rod's smaller diameter as the basis for a swept blend. Form a curve onto the surface of the bent sheetmetal part and unbend the part. Does the curve regenerate to follow the unbent sheetmetal geometry? If so, the sweep that follows it will probably "unbend" as well. If this doesn't work, try a surface offset to midplane then use this as a projection (wrap?) reference. What you want is a curve that will regenerate to match the flattened sheetmetal geometry. You may have to go the other way, start with the flattened geometry, "wrap" the curve and unflatten it to create the swept blend. I'm saying swept blend only because of the two different diameters. Or, you could try it as a simple sweep or VSS and do the cut after, but this seems failure prone.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

messagenews:f5ocss$lm$ snipped-for-privacy@atlantis.news.tpi.pl...

manufacturing process, to show it in it's unbend state. But, there's no unbend, outside of sheetmetal. There's a 'flatten quilt' that I doubt would be of much use in this case and there's flexible parts which, except for the radiuses, might be of some use.

smaller diameter as the basis for a swept blend. Form a curve onto the surface of the bent sheetmetal part and unbend the part. Does the curve regenerate to follow the unbent sheetmetal geometry? If so, the sweep that follows it will probably "unbend" as well. If this doesn't work, try a surface offset to midplane then use this as a projection (wrap?) reference. What you want is a curve that will regenerate to match the flattened sheetmetal geometry. You may have to go the other way, start with the flattened geometry, "wrap" the curve and unflatten it to create the swept blend. I'm saying swept blend only because of the two different diameters. Or, you could try it as a simple sweep or VSS and do the cut after, but this seems failure prone.

Info - feature will tell you the centreline length of the rod if you're after that, but I can't see a way of unbending a round, variable diameter, object.

Reply to
John Wade

My method probably isn't correct but it looks OK.

If the rod diameter is 10mm, you can create a sheet metal with cross section

10x10 mm and then round edges (all 4 of them) with radius smaller then 5. Let's say 4.99mm. That can be unbent and looks just fine...

Tomislav Cabraja...

Reply to
Tomislav Cabraja

I've bent things with "spinal bend", (living hinges etc) I wonder if you could unbend... don't know, never tried it.

Reply to
Polymer Man

I know this metod from Proe 2001 :) But I thought in WF2/3 it is possible to create in more simple way. I was wrong. My fault I started crate this model as a standard part not sheet metal. And in the and I thought will be good to show it as a unbend part. Anyway, now I have to create this part as a new in sheet metal. Thanks for help guys.

Regards Ziomall

Reply to
Ziomall