Wildfire much hype, not robust

This has to be one of the worst releases from a QC point of view. Besides the tedious functionality in many cases, some things plain don't work. Case in point. If you do a cut upto a surface (plane surface), the net result is quite interesting. It either removes the entire part acting as a through all, or removes something else (either the complement or supplement).Creating a datum and cutting upto the datum results in more weirdness. Proe support did not believe it when I called support, but since then have opened an SPR after going through a webex session. An unofficial survey among users at my location (and my friends and acquaintances in other organizations) indicates that they all would gladly go back to 2001, but we cant since we have already saved in Wildfire. I have been using Proe since Rev 6 and this has to be one of the worst releases in terms of non-robustness and not being able to do simple things like in the above example. Why is PTC so eager to have everyone switch to this? Do they think it saves them a lot of money in tech support or what --I think quite the contrary. OK enough venting I had to get it off my chest.

Reply to
Vijay

One of those days, huh? Are you refering to a cut outside of section and up to surface (TPI 20848, v18; TPI 115524, 2001) or something else?

========================

Reply to
Jeff Howard

ProE has always done this.

Reply to
David

SPR 1054160 . Yes, cut outside the section and upto surface.

Reply to
Vijay

Not true. You sound like Proe support. Did not do it in 2001, 2000i2,

2000i etc----upto Rev6 !
Reply to
Vijay

Pro has always had that bug, however it doesn't appear every time that you use that method.

Reply to
David

You are saying that cut up to a surface doesn't work? wonder why I haven't noticed that. I've used that option a bunch of times. Maybe I'm picking on an option different than you. In wildfire there are several options, there's one with a red bar right? One is "up to surface", the other is "up until next" ??? I've seen where I needed to switch but it's seemed very consistent to me.

-meld

David wrote:

Reply to
meld_b

Just my $0.02...

The only wierdness I have noticed with protrude or cut 'up to surface' is that this only selects surface 'patches' and not the entire quilt for simple geometric surfaces.

For Example, if the surface you are using as the 'up to surface' selection is a simple extrusion of line and arc type features, you cannot select the entire surface. You can only select the surface 'patch' that represents the line or arc extrusion portion of the surface.

meld_b wrote:

Reply to
Chris Gosnell

Cutting up to a surface can at times make the entire model disappear (most of the time it works flawlessly). There are work arounds, but this intermittent bug has been around since at least rev 14.

David

Reply to
David