Any Vex hack sites?

--Well the prices are finally reasonable; bought the $300 retail Vex kit yesterday from a Radio Shack close-out sale for $100; get 'em while they're cheap, yes? So who's doing what with them; i.e. I'd appreciate any links to projects folks are doing with the system. --Thanks,

Reply to
steamer

You might try the VexLabs site, where they have a forum. The old VexRobotics.com site is currently pointing to Radio Shack.

Note that because Vex was intended as an entry level to FIRST, certain types of "hacking" were discouraged, at least if you wanted to compete. Though touted as ready for hacking, I didn't see much of it. I think More people hacked the Robosapien, perhaps precisely because it wasn't so obviously "open."

-- Gordon

steamer wrote:

Reply to
Gordon McComb

--Hmmm; interesting observation. I'm beginning to thing I'll use Vex components but start diddling with the picaxe chip, as many who are low on the learning curve (like me) seem to be migrating to that platform. Just found out a friend on another list is working on a model boat autopilot based on this chip; now there's a nice out-of-the-ordinary application! :-)

Reply to
steamer

There's an article in the Summer edition of Robot magazine that uses a Vex micro-switch on a non-Vex bot.

This site has Vex stuff that is cool but pricey:

This guy built a beer pouring/fetching 'bot from Vex:
Kinda cool --- scroll down for the omnidirectional photos
That + Google oughta get you started ! JCD

Reply to
pogo