Anyone using this microcontroller?

Is anyone here using the Atmel AVRmega series controllers, and how popular are they? They can be found here:

Looks like these chips feature massive amounts of Flash ROM, EEPROM, and SRAM memory. A huge amount of I/O pins (dependong on model), 8 and 16 bit timers, analog comparitors, A/D converters, two wire serial interface, SPI, multiple UARTS, and other features.

Seems that the software development environments are free too. Those can be found here as a download:

Looks pretty interesting, and depending on what you get, the chips can be had from between $5 and $15 at most parts retailers like Digi-Key.

So, what do you guys think?

Reply to
Daniel Rudy

Yeah, they're great. I'm programming up a Mega32 right now as I type.

The in system serial programming feature is great, their architectures are powerful.

The GCC compiler is good because it also supports C++ programming. That means I can do object-oriented software development on my little microcontroller.

I love them.

Cheers, Ed L

Reply to
Ed LeBouthillier

They're great. Grab the STK500 board (and maybe a 501/2 too), and you're good to go. Studio 4 GUI / Assembler is free. I'm looking for a few more beta testers for the StatiC compiler (dual-methodology), so if you're interested, give me a shout.

Thanks,

-Pete.

Reply to
Pete Gray

Yep. Check out the boards I make that use the ATmega128:

The mega128 is currently the largest ATmega chip, but Atmel has been promising an ATmega256 for over a year now.

I mostly use open source programming tools with these - gnu gcc c compiler, gdb debugger, avrdude programmer (I am the author of avrdude).

Some of the things here might be a bit dated, but for a synopsis of the tools available, see:

For lots of AVR related information, tools, products, etc, see:

I love the ATmega8 - hits the sweet spot for a single-chip solution w/regard to amount of flash (8K), ram (1K), speed (16 MIPS), and peripherals (UART, I2C, SPI, A/DC, hardware PWMs, timers, etc, etc). And at around $3.00 from Digikey for an easy to use 28-pin DIP, it cannot be beat.

I _always_ have some of these in my parts box. :-)

-Brian

Reply to
Brian Dean

And somewhere around the time of 07/06/2004 06:50, the world stopped and listened as Pete Gray contributed the following to humanity:

I called Digi-Key and they had the STK500 for $79.00. I ordered it. I'll be getting it Friday. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reply to
Daniel Rudy

They're my micros of choice. The mega32 is usually more than enough for most of my applications. I use the Procyon AVRlib for C encapsulations of the most common features, AVRGCC for C code compilation (the WinAVR distro specifically), and the SP12 programmer for in circuit programming. All are free and open source. Atmel's IDE is pretty nice, but ironically, once I found these other tools, I've rarely used it. Granted, it's probably the way to go if you want to use simulation or an out-of-circuit programmer.

Reply to
Chris S.

"Daniel Rudy"

Yup, use some here.

Good robotics board

avr butterfly is a small "starter" kit from atmel

stk500 is worth getting if your going to use avr's for a while

Cheap boards

don't forget the programmer as well
free Programming options

assembly - use avr studio from atmel

c - winavr gcc port

bascom avr demo - compiled basic
few other links
big list of projects

avr + ethernet

But if you think thats a massive amount of flash take a look at these

lpc2106 128kB flash 64kB ram
lpc2129 256kB flash 16kB ram
smt only

Alex Gibson