serial large data storage for micros.

Does anyone know of any serial interfaced (RX/TX) 1Mb-ish, (or larger) flash ram storage systems for micros? Needs a simple file like indexed
system, so data chunks can be written, retreived, and deleted. Much like a hard drive system.
I know a USB ram drive will do this, but I would like something to interface easily to any micro with a uart.
Thanks in advance, Don...
Don McKenzie E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html
Crystal clear, super bright OLED LCD (128x128) for your microcontroller. Simple serial RX/TX interface. Many memory sizes. http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid 460
Don McKenzie wrote:

Serial Data Flash from ATMEL ( and others ) have this, tho it is SPI. http://atmel.com/dyn/products/devices.asp?family_ida6

This is a block orintated device.

A hard drive is block based and buss based flash chips are linear.
A block based device (hard drive or Flash Cards ) have some sort of file system such as FAT16 / FAT32 or others that don't seem to mater much.
So, I don't understand your question ??

USB drives are always FLASH based, I have never heard of a USB _ram_ drive.

This is one I have done some research on :
http://www.alfat.co.uk/alfat.html
but I have not used it.
I found is their docs that it apears kind of slow. The max data rate is less then 1M Bit serial. Then there is the programming time. Only one file open at a time.
I used a ATmega32 and a compact flash card and approched 4 MBytes/sec transfer rate for 512 byte blocks.
This was only a read/write test, so I did not have any file system code.
Good luck
donald

Check out the uMMC from Rogue Robotics. www.roguerobotics.com It uses a SD card for storage. Serial (TTL level) interface. FAT16 format.
Don
Donald Harris wrote:

Thank you Donald, and Donald, from Don :-)
As per normal, my initial question may not have explained fully what it was I was chasing, but two very good leads. The Rogue Robotics device seems close to my needs.
Don...
Don McKenzie E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html
Crystal clear, super bright OLED LCD (128x128) for your microcontroller. Simple serial RX/TX interface. Many memory sizes. http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid 460

The ST25p64 series works for me.
thedoc wrote:

Your search - ST25p64 - did not match any documents. not a stock item in google.
is the number correct?
Cheers Don...
Don McKenzie E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html
Crystal clear, super bright OLED LCD (128x128) for your microcontroller. Simple serial RX/TX interface. Many memory sizes. http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid 460
Don McKenzie wrote:

Maybe the M25P64 from ST ?
Arlet wrote:

Yes, http://www.st.com/stonline/books/ascii/docs/10987.htm
I'll go have a read, thanks
Cheers Don...
Don McKenzie E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html
Crystal clear, super bright OLED LCD (128x128) for your microcontroller. Simple serial RX/TX interface. Many memory sizes. http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid 460

You might want to consider the AT45DBxxx series of dataflash. This has an SPI interface and SMALL sectors (up to 1 kB). The advantage of small sectors is that file system typically do not need garbage collection (or it is simplified). The pages have "extra bytes" allowing erase count and other things useable in a flash file system. The devices start at 1 Mbit and go up to 64 Mbit in pin compatible 8 pin packages. Larger memories are in development.
You can also get 16/34/64 Mbit in MMC like Flash card packages, so add an MMC connector to your board and you are in good shape.
--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson
Ulf Samuelsson wrote:

Look here
http://www.engelmann-schrader.de/usbstick.html (in german but manual in english)
This is not only a Usb Stick but also a kind of " Serial Stick".
Jouka
jouka wrote:

thanks Ulf and Jouka,
I now have many good leads to check, and decide which direction to go.
Don...
Don McKenzie E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html
Crystal clear, super bright OLED LCD (128x128) for your microcontroller. Simple serial RX/TX interface. Many memory sizes. http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid 460
Like this?
http://www.compsys1.com/workbench/On_top_of_the_Bench/MMC_Project/mmc_project.html
Try this: http://chipdos.com / Fat32/16 on a SD/MMC card, with RS232 or SPI interface
Fleming wrote:

This chip is also available on a finished product, with Flash card electronics, holder, etc., at Sparkfun.com. About half the cost of the Chipdos dev board, but also without the RS232 (TTL serial only).
-- Gordon
Gordon McComb wrote:

Thanks Gary, Bob, Fleming, and Gordon.
My Spark Fun connection is timing out right now, but do these guys do great work, or what?
Don...
--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html
Don McKenzie wrote:

It is now for me too, so it's not just your routing. Got me concerned because we (Sparkfun and Budget Robotics) use the same Web host provider. Or at least we used to. My site is still up, and there's comes and goes. Might just be their box.
Yes, they do good work. And it's generally inexpensive. We need more good, inexpensive stuff!
Unfortunately, their MP3 breakout board is currently out of stock, but the DOSonChip and MP3 board would make a good pair for playing sound/music/effects on a bot. OTOH, the price together is a bit high. They also do a VS1002 MP3/SD module, and the Rogue Robotics uMP3 board is a good option for those going in that direction. Choices, choices... <g>
-- Gordon