reading serial data in real time and data analysis

IMPORTANT! This message has been blind-carbon-copied to you. Do not reply-to-all or forward it without the author's permission.

Hi,

I am working on a project that requires the reading of serial data in real time, and do data analysis on the collected data simultaneously. I am working on an embedded application using PIC processors, and would like to plot data while I'm collecting it from the PIC using serial port.

So far, I have tried to use Matlab, but I can only read data, and plot it later not concurrently.

If any one knows any software or Matlab toolbox that can achieve this functionality, please let me know at snipped-for-privacy@cmu.edu.

Regards, Gautam Jain

Reply to
Gautam Jain

In the past I have used a product called "MicroTAP" from Paladin Software to do serial data logging for archiving and analysis. I'm sure there are others out there.

I hope that helps, Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

I have used COMXL to bring serial data into Microsoft Excel, but I don't know if Excel will plot in real time. You could download the free trial and give it a try:

Reply to
Charles Erskine

You can do this in Matlab, but you have to use their GUIDE gui design tool and generate an event to plot the new incoming data. I have not found Matlab to be very useful for this. The end result looks okay, but it was a struggle to get running because Matlab isn't a great programming tool.

Depending upon your data rate, a better solution, if you are running a Windows operating system on a PC, is to use MSComm Control with either VB6 or Excel+VBA. MicroChip's PICKit add-on, "PICTail daughter board" actually comes with VB source code for handing incoming data, (comes on the CD with the kit). Cost about $35 from Microchip or Digikey.

If you are interested, I have both VB and Excel+VBA examples that use the MSComm Control with incoming serial data. The limitations of Excel are that there is a lot of table overhead so plotting data is limited to about 7Hz update rate. If you just want to record data, I've used Excel+VBA with data rates of 100 Hz for 16 bit data. The issue with VB6 is that there aren't any good free plotting packages that are appropriate for "real-time", but you can get up with the MSChart control if your data rate is low. Drop me a line if you are interested in the VB examples snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

If you have a fast data rate, LabWindows CVI and "C" will give you great real-time plots. I've used it for plotting data at rates up to

150Hz (untriggered scrolling oscilloscope type plot).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - >I am working on a project that requires the reading of serial data in real

Reply to
AntiSPAM_g9u5dd43