Protection Relay Data Analysis

Hi,

I work at a small Biomass conversion power station generating approx

50Mw of electricity located in northern Australia. The HV switchboard and Transformers have several Microprocessor based Protection Relays and Power Monitors. The protection relays and power monitors are connected to a PLC and SCADA system via Modbus (RS485). Status Data (e.g. Amps & Volts) is collected from the relays and displayed / trended on the SCADA.

We understand the relays are capable of capturing data either side of a trip/fault condition. Each relay retains a history data of the last

5 events. This data can then assessed and analyzed by a PC running the relays manufacturer's software. The analysis must be done manually before the event is replaced by later trip events.

We are looking for a product that can continually monitor the relays. This product would automatically download and historically store the data from the relays in the event of a trip or fault. Ideally we could then use the same product to retrieve and analyze the historical data, as and when required.

We would prefer to have a system that is capable of communicating (via Modbus) with different types of protection relays.

I have done some research on the internet, but I would really appreciate comments and advice from anyone involved in this area, or ideally anyone is actually running some automatic retrieval, storage and analyzing software for protection relays and power monitors.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan

The relay manufacturer(s) likely have software to do this. If you have relays from several different manufacturers, getting that data into a single software application could be difficult. EPRI has a piece of software called PQView that can collect data from many different sources into a single database. However, it depends on other applications (from the relay manufacturers) to download the events.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry