Precautions in upgrading SCADA software

Hi,

Here is a description of a project I'm going to start working on. An oil & gas pipeline has an antiquated SCADA system (estd: 1992). The SCADA software needs to be upgraded. It the SCADA software (distributed across serveral computers) communicates via a ModBus network with several PLCs, a DCS and several flow computers. Of course, field RTUs and a complex telemetry network is present.

This is my first project on such a big scale. I know how to upgrade the SCADA software. Does anyone have any idea of how I am supposed to execute a step by step procedure for testing the new software in its complete capacity, without messing up big time and having a multi million dollar pipeline wind up in my neck?

Thanks,

Flo_Ater snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Flo Ater

Make sure you have all relevant vendors (or as many as you can get) involved. You have a right to be concerned.

Walter.

Reply to
Walter Driedger

Reply to
john smith

It seems to me a good idea would be to start with the smallest/most simple systems first. With regards to taking the old system offline and bringing the new one online, it's a good idea to do as much work parallel to the original system as possible. Then start dumping one piece at a time. As for expected output operation (PLC), I always like to link my SCADA tags to internal (PLC) memory bits for testing and then when you have confirmed proper operation, then map the bits to the appropriate outputs.

Make sure you are prepared for 1 or 2 sleepless weeks. I'm interested to see what the others recommend.

Andy

Reply to
Andy