BASIC Stamp Good Investment in Time?

i'd get an 18f877 in 40 pin dip, it's got lots of features, lots of storage, the dip will fit protoboards, it is a bit bulky for simple robotics.
--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2 /

i dont see that chip on the list any other chip you would recommend ?

sorry, pounded out 18f and didn't check, it's a 16f877a. the a version has the samples, as opposed to the plain 877, there's 6 different types with samples offered, various packages n stuff. http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId 35&dDocName=en010242 for the datasheets.
--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2 /

Well i sent off for a free chip and when i got my confirmation on where it was been shipped from it was been shipped from Thailand so i dont know how much that is going to cost when it finally arrives, i just found out where it was been shipped from today and i about died when i found out :(

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId 35& dDocName=en010242
Rodney Smith wrote:

Free samples include the free postage. I suppose they are hoping you will buy from them eventually, so it is all advertising.
Ed,
Go to http://sample.microchip.com/Default.aspx .
Catman
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

i went there, ordered 7 free chips, sweet :P do you use pic catman?
I started with PIC's, but I switched to AVR's. The reason I switched is because I prefer to program in BASIC instead of C (I really hate C). BASCOM for the AVR is free with 2K program limit or under $70 for a full version so it was cheaper than PICBASIC.
I like the AVR's and I think they will eventually surpass PIC's in popularity, but PIC's are still excellent chips with a lot of support. The PIC's have many things going for them. Myke Perdenko's book that I had mentioned earlier in this thread, free samples, free C compilers (if you like C), lots of people to ask for help here and in most robotics clubs...
Play with PIC's for awhile and then add an AVR to your Solarbotics order and give it a try. It is always good to know more than one way to do things.
ed wrote:

thanks for all the help, without you guys id be sitting in radioshack still not knowing they dont have anything useful there except the book "basic digital electronics" :P
Hi
Start out with the PIC16F28, PIC16F27, or even the PIC16F84., and work your way up.
1. GO here. This is a TOP site: http://www.mikroelektronika.co.yu/english/index.htm
2. Get their test board - the EasyPIC ( or stuff I recommend on my site http://www.users.tpg.com.au/daleste/index.htm ).
3. Learn Assembly language first. Read through their free online book on PICs and Assembly language ( my EE teacher has linked to it for his assembly students - so must be good ), and also go to www.sq-1.com and get the book Easy Microcontrol'n (if you like).
4. Learn some plain old C first (get Kernighan & Ritchie Second Edition - THE C BOOK ). Find a free C compiler like at www.bloodshed.net , and learn some basic C programming.
5 Download a free evaluation version of their C compiler and IDE for PICs: http://www.mikroelektronika.co.yu/english/index.htm
6. You can try out the PIC C Lite later (it's pretty crappy, as it is very limited in the type of PICs you can program, and there are limitations on some of these as well)
Don't bother with C2C compiler, the author offers lousy support. The above link has an excellent forum.
If you want to do PICs for fun as a hobby, program in any program u like.
If you plan to do it for a living FORGET BASIC - my teacher says it's NOT used by engineers in the real world.
Keep in touch with the mikroelektronika crew - their C compiler is new (read some bugs, etc), BUT it is very close to ANSI C, and it will get better with time. Once again-they have a very good and helpful forum.
Cheers
Dale