Basic stamp with gun??

Anybody do this? Connect, for example, a semi-auto pistol and try to fire it with a computer? What's your design?
snipped-for-privacy@excite.com

Are you the same guy that's been asking about this on the Basic Stamp Yahoo Group? I don't think I want to know what exactly it is you have in mind. Sure it could be done but you'll get no advice from me, nothing personal.
-Dave
Dave <blank> wrote: : Are you the same guy that's been asking about this on the Basic Stamp Yahoo : Group? I don't think I want to know what exactly it is you have in mind. : Sure it could be done but you'll get no advice from me, nothing personal.
: -Dave
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots."
IMO, DLC
* Dennis Clark snipped-for-privacy@frii.com www.techtoystoday.com *
Dennis Clark wrote:

I keep trying to picture this "Basic Stamp with gun" product. Where is the gun kept on the Basic Stamp? Do they still use a 24-pin carrier? What kind of permit does this Stamp need to carry this gun, assuming it's not in Texas?
-- Gordon Author: Constructing Robot Bases (Now Available) Robot Builder's Sourcebook, Robot Builder's Bonanza
Pal, guns are evil. I felt it on my own skin. It killed many of my family members and friends.
"There is no good weapon."
Refa

idiots."

I have about 40 in my collection, but I give them a stern talking to once a year and they haven't hurt anyone yet.
best regards
Robin G Hewitt
The second year after the war was done here(Bosnia) I gave the gun back to the police. I don't really like them and what they can do
You have to see it with your own eyes what they do :'( I think you would think the same as me Robin. It is good that you keep them on a good and safe place but still it should be a place only you know and nobody else, just because of the security reasons.
Refa

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Robin G Hewitt wrote:

No, the firearm used to kill/injure had to be loaded, aimed and fired by a human being (or robot -- I guess), and so there is nothing inherently evil in what can be used as a very useful tool -- safely and without harming anyone. By the same token, anything can be used as a weapon, given intent to do harm, but of themselves, firearms are no more inherently evil than a hammer.
Having said that, there are electronic firing mechanisms -- Remington I believe had a battery operated firing mechanism which was designed to reduce lock time of the mechanical system (the time from trigger pull to firing pin strike of primer) and thus increase accuracy. I'm not sure whether that rifle is still in production, but it did require a special primer which used an electrical impulse rather than a physical strike to ignite the round. It was called the Etron ...
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m0BQY/3_46/59281214/p1/article.jhtml
As a firearms safety instructor, and range safety officer, I would have some serious problems, however with attaching a firearm to any mechanical or electronic device. If this is intended as a booby trap -- almost ALL jurisdictions have criminal sanctions against non-descriminating weapons which might cause fatal injuries -- and quite rightly so!

Explain how an automatic pistol can be used without harming anyone and still be a useful tool.
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 18:32:17 -0000, "Tom McEwan"

Multiple individuals may engage in a competition, where each attempts to hit identical targets. Each individual is positioned the same distance from their target, & other conditions are set so as to be the same for each individual. Multiple shots are fired by each individual, with each firing the same number as all the others. Measurements are taken of the distances that each shot hits from the center of the target, with points being awarded for the closest shots. The individual who scores the highest wins the competition.
It's quite a bit of fun, & a very challenging activity; useful for recreation.
JM
Well, I wasn't really counting target shooting. Not "useful" in my book, except when training soldiers who, oh yes, use the skill to kill people.
However, having been in the CCF at my old school, I've been lucky enough to do plenty of rifle shoots (including full auto LSW) on army ranges all over the UK, and I must say it is damn good fun.
Tom
wrote:

by a

evil
still

Great. Next we'll have to explain how tennis rackets can be used without harming anyone and still be a useful tool lest someone bans them.
(BTW, *I* have put autoloading pistols to good use and I haven't harmed anyone as a result.)
Back on topic...more prior art.     http://www.ddr5.homestead.com/files/gm/gm.html
    Automatic firing machine guns and automatic search     lights provided additional deterrent.
--kyler

No, what we'll have to do is qualify what is "useful" & what isn't, & who gets to decide what is or isn't "useful" for YOU.
JM
A tennis racket isn't a machine designed to kill people.
writes:

Am I the only one who finds it particularly amusing that someone on comp.robotics.misc would get all hung up on what some versions of a class of devices were designed to do? I suppose none of us should ever use Polaroid ultrasonic sensors for robots because they were designed to focus cameras and must never be put to any other use.
--kyler
:>A tennis racket isn't a machine designed to kill people.
: Am I the only one who finds it particularly amusing that someone on : comp.robotics.misc would get all hung up on what some versions of a : class of devices were designed to do? I suppose none of us should : ever use Polaroid ultrasonic sensors for robots because they were : designed to focus cameras and must never be put to any other use.
I'm obviously not the only one that notices that some people insist on being obtuse about the "designed to kill someone" definition. Not that this discussion belongs here anyway, but...
The issue was never about using something for other than what it was designed for (as I understand it), but rather the pushups that get done trying to gloss over the fact that a handgun is designed to kill people, it has no other real function. Target shooting, yaddayadda, straw dog, target shooting usually mimics shooting a person. I can use a claw hammer to put in a screw, but that doesn't change what the hammer was designed for (as a class.)
Now, before someone mentions that famous "evil WW II person", lets ditch the NRA vs. the world thread before it gets REALLY acrimonious.
have fun, regardless, DLC
* Dennis Clark snipped-for-privacy@frii.com www.techtoystoday.com *
Just because some people are unable to comprehend more than one use for an item doesn't mean that no other uses exist, or are invalid. There are also apparently those who believe that a robot's only purpose can be to enslave the human race. This newsgroup is full of threads describing uses for some item other than what its designers envisioned.
Regarding intent, there is intent both on the part of the designer and the user, and they may not necessarily be the same. A firearm is designed to expel a projectile accurately, up to a maximum distance. Whether that capatility is utilized by the user to kill another person is up to the user. A firearm is definitely a dangerous tool, and must be used and handled carefully. Were the design intent to "kill people", there are much more efficient ways to do so.
There's a bit of an undertone going on here that killing a person is itself not a valid purpose. There are circumstances where taking a life is legitimate, and the law in most jurisdictions recognizes this.
JM

Actually, those guys are just trolls. Or zealots. Ignore them.

Umm, this is wrong. Countless generations of craftsmen, scientists and engineers didn't spend centuries constantly improving and refining a device on the off chance somebody wanted to move a lead sphere at enormous velocity some day, they did it so that their country's army had a better chance of wiping their opponents off the map. And there is no better or more efficient way to kill people than with a gun (unless you're not bothered about civilian casualties or destroying the area you want to capture along with the people defending it, in which case artillery, napalm and air strikes are probably your best bet).

In self defence, if the target is actually sending projectiles your way and you have no other option, then yes. But even then it's nothing to be proud of. It's a waste of a life. Under any other circumstances, even if an unrepentant mass murderer stands in the dock before you, execution is not justifiable as long as a less destructive alternative exists, and I would not choose to support a government or organisation that thought otherwise.
A gun is dangerous. So is an "evil" person. But just as a gun can be rendered completely safe by correct handling, without destroying it, so can an "evil" person.

Are you saying that the original design intent of the firearm was not to kill people? Really? It was efficient because it alllowed you to kill someone and stay far enough away so they couldn't kill you. Same design criteria as a bow and arrow.
Regards, John.
John de Stigter wrote:

The original design of the *handgun* was to kill people. And I believe that that is its only purpose.
People use it for other purposes (target shooting and hunting), but the purpose of a handgun is purely to kill *people*.
I also believe that a handgun makes it much too easy to kill people. Therefore I won't own one. Besides, a pump action shot-gun is better for home defense.
That being said, I do believe that there are purposes for which a handgun is useful, such as concealed self-defense. -- D. Jay Newman http://enerd.ws/robots /