Basic stamp with gun??

No, a machine designed to kill people would be called a snowboard.
writes:

book,
people.
without
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Tom McEwan wrote:

I shoot IPSC, PPC, IDPA, sporting clays, long range rifle, and just about every shooting discipline ... every one is a legitimate TARGET shooting discipline. Hunting and varmint control are also useful activities conducted with firearms. My firearms are TOOLS and not weapons. They are useful because I enjoy shooting them, and they instill discipline and good safety habits. But that's just me.
Firearms have never been a problem. Irresponsible use of them has always been a problem. Solve the human element, and the problem disappears.

My firearms are a mixture of weapons and sporting pieces. I make no apology for having them, you should not feel obliged to explain why you have yours. I've always though a strain gauge would make an excellent trigger mechanism but as I don't collect post-1870 it's not something I will be trying.
best regards
Robin G Hewitt
Robin G Hewitt wrote:

You could combine the stain gauge trigger, with a fingerprint ID panel -- like the kind on some mice -- so only you could fire the gun.
"This is the .44 Magnum, the most intelligent handgun in the world... Did it fire six shots, or only five? Well, punk, let's ask it..." Okay, so it's not quite as dramatic!
(BTW, contrary to popular belief, Clint Eastwood favors modest gun control. He also doesn't smoke, abstains from junk food, and doesn't even drink carbonated beverages. And while we're at it, Arnold is not made of titanium. Sigh. What the movies make us believe...)
-- Gordon Author: Constructing Robot Bases, Robot Builder's Sourcebook, Robot Builder's Bonanza

mechanism
"let's expose its access methods"

Gordon, you b*stard - next you'll be telling us that Santa doesn't exist!
You shatter my illusions, I'll shatter your teeth ;-)
PeterS
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Refik Hadzialic wrote:

So, if your "family members and friends" had a firearm to defend themselves successfully against those who would harm them, would those firearms be "bad" firearms, or would your "family members and friends" be bad people, or would your "family members and friends" simply still be alive today?
Any weapon in your own hands has the potential to be a "good" weapon or a bad "weapon". Firearms can be either -- but it all depends upon the hand that holds it.
I think weapons are bad, doesn't really matter in whom hands they are. You have to see it with your own eyes to say something, and in war there is no good side both are bad.
Did you ever see a child with a hole in it's stomatch made by a granade? Or a kid who played with an unexploded granade? I have seen it for 4 years everyday and nobody can tell me weapons are good. I'm sorry if you disagree with my opinion but weapons didn't bring luck to anybody, at least not at here.
Best regards, Refa

family
Be nice Gordon, Basic stamps aren't that big.
It reminds me of someone I know whose fruit trees are threatened by rats. Thought of implementing a simple break-beam controlling a pellet gun. With such technology against them, how do these rats survive. I countered with a 20,000 uF Cap, with salty cheese on the electrodes.
grrr

idiots."
A Gunn diode perhaps?
Robin G Hewitt

In many states here in the USA, such a device is illegal anyway. They have several different statutes that can be used against you should you fabricate such a device. The Fed's could apply the anti-terrorism laws to this too. Telling someone how to do it could get the "teller" in trouble too, not counting lawsuits and such.
www.techtoystoday.com *

*

Oh, heck. You could say the same things about multi-layer Jello desserts. In the US, there's a constant risk in thinking and in sharing knowledge. I'd like to think there are people who will continue pursuing knowledge despite the risks.
As a possible tool for more open sharing, I suggest GNUnet.     http://www.ovmj.org/GNUnet /
BTW, there *are* (small arms) cartridges that are fired electrically (and don't require ejection!). I don't have any first-hand knowledge of them.
--kyler
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 12:58:29 -0800, network lines wrote:

do you trust a robot with a gun? sounds a bit lethal to me, no going back and trying again after a bad accident with that..... (unless you have a government style cover up machine behind you...)
Englander wrote:

I wouldn't even trust my *dog* with a gun, let alone a robot.
OK, that was a bit facicious, but I won't have an ex-K9 dog, because they can be accidentally "set off". A robot with just a bit of misprogramming could put holes in all sorts of things that I don't want holes in. :)
It *could* be done, and I'm sure the military has connected guns to controllers, but I don't understand why I would want to do this. -- D. Jay Newman
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 00:31:07 GMT, "D. Jay Newman"

This is probably the best known example: http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/weapons/wep-phal.html
I wonder what was used back in the early/mid 70s when this was being developed? An AN/UYK-7, at a guess, but how did that generation of UYKs compare to today's microcontrollers? (Leaving out I/O capability, since the UYKs had separate I/O processors.)
--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

Read this page and see if you want your robot (no matter how advanced) to fire a gun...
http://www.navysite.de/lph/lph2.htm
"October 11, 1989 80 miles southeast of Norfolk, Va.
USS EL PASO (LKA-177) accidentally hits the USS IWO JIMA with rounds from its Phalanx CIWS during gunnery practice. One sailor aboard IWO JIMA is killed and another is injured. Damage is slight."

Reminds me of that scene in robocop where, during a demo, an ed209 orders an assistant to drop his gun, the assitant complies and the ed209 shoots him anyway. The person giving the demo simply says (in a very casual mater of fact manor) "it's just a glitch".
http://www.robocoparchive.com/info/ed209-3.JPG
Regards Sergio Masci
On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 12:37:45AM -0000, Sergio Masci wrote:

What a great scene - I remember that. The presenter had one of the attendees pick up a weapon to demonstrate the robot's ability to identify and deal with the threat - saying that once the threat was disarmed, the robot would no longer be agressive. If I remember correctly, the robot told the person holding the gun to "drop your weapon" and began counting backward from 10. The person very quickly dropped the gun, but the robot kept counting down, failing to note that the weapon had been dropped. It was one of those scenes that the director managed to make gruesome and slightly humorous at the same time as everyone else near the person that was holding the gun scattered out of the way, while the poor person darted around looking for something to hide behind as the robot continued to count down, eventually reaching zero and opening fire. After the robot fired about a zillion rounds it then promptly retracted its guns and claimed the threat had been eliminated (or something like that). And then, as you mentioned, the capper was when the presenter claimed it was just a programming glitch that would be fixed in the next release :-)
Actually, you can see a couple of frames of the scene on this page:
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/368/368805p1.html?fromint=1
Scroll about halfway down or search for "ed-209". Apparently there was a movie "blooper" in this scene because the actor's "blood packs" - those things that explode and splatter out fake blood making it look like you've been shot when move bullets hit you - were visible in a few frames of this scene.
Of course, real guns shoot real bullets - I can't believe someone would even consider hooking a gun to a controller. They should go and rent Robocop instead - or maybe that's where they got the idea :-/
I remember folks in another forum talking about the dangers of even using a laser pointer with a robot - how it could be very dangerous to unwary on-lookers (retinal damage). But a gun! Geez!
-Brian -- Brian Dean, snipped-for-privacy@bdmicro.com BDMICRO - Maker of the MAVRIC ATmega128 Dev Board http://www.bdmicro.com/

an
HeHe - RoboCop was a classic in that it consistently managed not to take itself too seriously, yet the movie-makers appeared to have a good understanding into what is presently possible with robot technology (apart from "robocop" himself of course) and in corporate settings - "eager young employee volunters for doomed looser project" stretched aaalll the way ;-)
Speaking of which, I want to build an ED-209 (with water pistols or nerf guns of course)! : )
Scott

back
an
network lines wrote:

Hi,
I need to detonate an atom bomb with a Basic Stamp for my highschool science project.....
--
Luhan Monat, "LuhanKnows" At 'Yahoo' dot 'Com'
http://members.cox.net/berniekm