Cost of an articulated arm

I need to automate some tasks in a machine shop for which we are considerin g using an articulated arm. Its maximum payload (including gripper) will be 5 kg. I need a quick and dirty estimate of cost. My requests for price quo tes are awaiting responses. I realize that actual costs vary and depend on a number of factors, but at this time I need only a crude estimate. Can som eone help?

dsv

Reply to
Dsv ojdfpiv

How many degrees of freedom? Or put it other way, what is the actual operation it will need to do? I noticed you avoided using the term "robotic arm" - any specific reason, I wonder? Like only two/three DOFs or something like that?

What's the end effector - a standard gripper or a specialized fixture?

There's a TON of surplus robotics out there - something you'd be willing to look at? Not counting the cost of its integration into your workcell (not a small expense either), I would say you can pick up a reasonably little-worn surplus robotic arm for 5kg payload and a controller for less than $5,000. The trick is usually to install, program and troubleshoot - do you have someone in house who would do that? Otherwise, a turnkey solution would cost way more - I would not even dare to estimate not knowing the details.

Reply to
passerby

The robotic arm needs to have 6 degrees of freedom. Had I needed 2-3 degrees, I suppose I would have looked for a SCARA robot. I am looking for an articulated robotic arm.

The end effector will be purchased separately, and I am trying to get a ballpark cost for the robotic arm only.

I am open to buying a used robotic arm, but I suppose the cost of that would be a lot more uncertain. The list price of a robotic arm is the easiest way for me to proceed with my cost estimate.

dsv

Reply to
Dsv ojdfpiv