CRM: solutions to our problem?

    --There's a thread over at rec.crafts.metalworking about how to solve the sporge problem and/or identifying the originating domain. The
thread's called 'Who did it' and there were several posters who had responses that were a bit over my head. Mayhap some of the cleverer posters here could implement them for us?
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Tom Nelson?
steamer wrote:

Sounds good. You wouldn't have a thread title, would you? Would save me from having to download umpteen zillion threads in my reader. Google's interface would make it easier.
-- Gordon
Gordon McComb wrote:

Gordon:
As the original post said, the thread is identified as "Who did it". The post of interest is from Steve Ackman:
> In slrn: > > 1) Hit the letter 'k' > 2) Hit the letter 'e' > 3) type "NNTP-Posting-Host: 82.35.108.103" > 4) They all disappear
which is pretty cryptic. There is a follow up post from William Noble:
> ok, I had to look it up - slrn is here http://www.slrn.org/ from reading, > it looks like no one is maintaining the probram - the "last check" column is > 2004 for most things, though the mac OS is 2006
The DoN. Nichols Post is a little more informative:
>     Weren't all of these posted with the same "NNTP-Posting-Host: " > IP? That should be an easy way to zap them all -- as long as your > newsreader allows killfiling on that header.
In summary, you need a news reader that has "kill file" support and the ability to select an arbitrary header. For the last sporge on rec.crafts.metalworking, the header to kill file is: "NNTP-Posting-Host: 82.35.108.103".
For my particular newsreader (Thunderbird), I've never been able to get a permanent killfile to work. I sort of doubt that Thunderbird has arbitrary header filtering (I could be wrong; I've done no research on the topic.) Maybe somebody who knows more can illuminate my admitted ignorance on this topic.
-Wayne
Brendan Gillatt wrote: [snip...snip...]

When a news client retrieves the headers, all it will typically get are Path, From, Newsgroups, Subject, Date, Organization, and Message-ID. Filtering on the body as well as on the other header lines is possible but that would require downloading the complete feed for the group.
Nowadays, with broadband more available, that's not impossible, although I'm not aware of any common clients that implement it.
The Path header line is probably a good candidate for sporge filtering; just need to find a client that supports it -- or grab the Thunderbird SVN snapshot and add it. ;-)
--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

Brendan Gillatt wrote:

BTSOOM. I'm just running the 1.5.0.13 release version and the usenet filtering is, ah, not one of its strong points; just subject, from, and date.
Forte's Agent newsreader (which I use on my home machine) has much better filtering (regex!) but even it is limited to author and subject headers.
--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

Wayne C. Gramlich wrote:

D'oh!!
-- Gordon

why is comp.robotics.misc the subject of this garbage?
in the past 6 months, there has been little activity.
the "sporge" isn't asking for money. It is just garbage. the posts don't contain opinions, information, etc.. A disgruntled youth?
Rich