CRM: solutions to our problem?

--There's a thread over at rec.crafts.metalworking about how to
solve the sporge problem and/or identifying the originating domain. The
thread's called 'Who did it' and there were several posters who had
here could implement them for us?
Reply to
steamer
Sounds good. You wouldn't have a thread title, would you? Would save me from having to download umpteen zillion threads in my reader. Google's interface would make it easier.
-- Gordon
Reply to
Gordon McComb
Gordon:
As the original post said, the thread is identified as "Who did it". The post of interest is from Steve Ackman:
which is pretty cryptic. There is a follow up post from William Noble:
The DoN. Nichols Post is a little more informative:
In summary, you need a news reader that has "kill file" support and the ability to select an arbitrary header. For the last sporge on rec.crafts.metalworking, the header to kill file is: "NNTP-Posting-Host: 82.35.108.103".
For my particular newsreader (Thunderbird), I've never been able to get a permanent killfile to work. I sort of doubt that Thunderbird has arbitrary header filtering (I could be wrong; I've done no research on the topic.) Maybe somebody who knows more can illuminate my admitted ignorance on this topic.
-Wayne
Reply to
Wayne C. Gramlich
They appear to be from a lot more places than one IP! Perhaps the lucky person who posted the thread already had spam filtering put on by his/her isp.
I'm in the same boat as you! Can only filter by Subject, Date and From headers O-o. Strange because you can filter E-mail with whatever you like!
- -- Brendan Gillatt brendan {at} brendangillatt {dot} co {dot} uk
Key:
Brendan Gillatt
D'oh!!
-- Gordon
Reply to
Gordon McComb
[snip...snip...]
When a news client retrieves the headers, all it will typically get are Path, From, Newsgroups, Subject, Date, Organization, and Message-ID. Filtering on the body as well as on the other header lines is possible but that would require downloading the complete feed for the group.
Nowadays, with broadband more available, that's not impossible, although I'm not aware of any common clients that implement it.
The Path header line is probably a good candidate for sporge filtering; just need to find a client that supports it -- or grab the Thunderbird SVN snapshot and add it. ;-)
Reply to
Rich Webb
I might just try that. How well does the filtering work on the pre-release?
- -- Brendan Gillatt brendan {at} brendangillatt {dot} co {dot} uk
Key:
Brendan Gillatt
BTSOOM. I'm just running the 1.5.0.13 release version and the usenet filtering is, ah, not one of its strong points; just subject, from, and date.
Forte's Agent newsreader (which I use on my home machine) has much better filtering (regex!) but even it is limited to author and subject headers.
Reply to
Rich Webb
Reply to
Brendan Gillatt
why is comp.robotics.misc the subject of this garbage?
in the past 6 months, there has been little activity.
the "sporge" isn't asking for money. It is just garbage. the posts don't contain opinions, information, etc.. A disgruntled youth?
Rich
Reply to
aiiadict