My Apology to this Group - Business Closing - Equipment for Sale

Several days ago, I posted a notice to this group that I was closing my business and have equipment for sale. If I violated the rules of this group in any way, it was done in ignorance, and I sincerely apologize. Otherwise, I think I owe no apology to anyone. If someone would direct me to a site where the rules of this group are written, I'll do my best to follow them.

My post was pretty short. I simply said to e-mail me for further information. Some folks here had a problem with that, and spent considerably more time posting ugly untrue assumptions rather than sending me a sincere inquiry. I did receive some legitimate responses and actually sold items as a result of the post. Thank you.

I believe that most people are honest and are who and what they say they are. Further, even in questionable situations, I believe in acertaining the truth rather than making assumptions that have no basis other than suspicion. To the individuals who trashed me with hateful, untrue comments, without checking anything out, please try to learn how to get along in this world and get a real life.

Reply to
ralplas

Grant Erwin

Then you'll realize that you weren't getting special treatment :)

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Tim has a very good point.

usenet is faceless, and it seems people take that as an opportunity to be as rude as they can, which they would never dare do face to face.

Just ignore the fools who seem to think they 'own' usenet.

Reply to
John Smith

Moneymakes the world go round seem like it is a bitch when you do not have it and its a bitch it a bitch when you tryto pull some in It is to bad you close your bizzness . With all the emails you got looks like someone is reading here

Reply to
HaroldA102

The only real issue anyone took with the post was trying to figure out where in the world you were. If you live next door I would probably be very interested in what you have to sell. If you are on the opposite side of the pond, there is zero interest. Didn't even have to specific, just something to give a 100mi radius or so.

JW

Reply to
cyberzl1

You have hit the nail on the head, my friend. There is, in my humble opinion, nothing wrong with what you did. This newsgroup is not sacred. If it were, all this off topic blather would not be allowed, and it would be a much better newsgroup. The problem, as you have deduced, is that some of these people have no life. They only have time to post inane posts about all manner of things, both real and imagined. Mostly imagined. When you analyze their posting records, it would be impossible for many of them to have jobs, times for hobbies, a sex life, a social life, or even time in the shower. So, you must imagine their sad pathetic lives and understand the problem.

I recently posted some small things I had for sale in another newsgroup. I was immediately taken to task by the resident posters with nothing to do but read every post and comment on it, and make sure their imaginary anal rules are enforced. I got an e mail from my ISP telling me not to do it again. No big deal.

So, don't worry about it. Idiots will act like idiots. There are still many good folks here who dispense valuable information and experience that can save you time and make you money, or just answer your questions. Don't judge us all by the behavior of the radical fringe with nothing to do but hang on a keyboard. And please don't leave. You sound like a well reasoned logical person. We can use more of you.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Yes, that and the severe attitude he took when asked where he was...the "If you didn't know, trucks can move heavy things anywhere in the world" type response.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

You did not violate any of the rules of this group, other than only giving one clue as to where you are located. ( The members of this group that are in UK, Austrailia, New Zealand, and Africa always seem to say where they are when they are looking for something or trying to sell something. ) If you had stated that you were in North Carolina in your first post, I think there would not have been any of the posts which speculated on how legitimate your message was.

And allthough you say that there are trucks that run all over this country, it is still expensive to have machinery shipped a long ways. I did not reply to your original message as I guessed you were probably not in the Seattle area. Dan

Reply to
dcaster

It aint hard to figure out were i am See if you can tell me

Reply to
HaroldA102

Why do you need to make a game of it? If I was offering something for sale to the world, I'd let the world know where the object needed to be shipped from - why is this so difficult to understand & why would the seller be so secretive?

Reply to
Stephen Young

the world, I'd let

Especially when all AOL posters' usenet traffic are proxied through a server in Herndon, Virginia.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

bud i do not have any to hide stay on top of the origanail thread.if you do not like it do not read it

Reply to
HaroldA102

Again, you're posting without giving the slightest hint of who you're responding to. Additionally, your shift key seems to be broken. Thirdly, as it's unlikely you'll ever post anything I find of value, .

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Bud i can post good stuff but aol is going to turn me off so i got to give it a last try.

Reply to
HaroldA102

Indeed if this your 'last try' it is a piss poor one. Most if not all the flames you attracted would not have been necessary if you had just said 'Sorry, I forgot to say where this equipment is located.

Simple eh?

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

Ford recently pulled its plans to run a commercial selling a vehicle to a priest because some "I've been abused by a priest" group complained that preists shouldn't be in ads...

Vermont Teddy Bear just pulled it's "I'm crazy for you" bear because some "I support mentally handicapped" group complained...

The world is turning into a bunch of uptite, super-sensitive, let-me-tell-you-why-I'm-right-and-you-are-wrong, rude realm... Just ignore those who complain unless they are the majority or close to it...

Reply to
Joe

Dave,

Harold's messages are correctly threaded - messages are indented under the one they are replying to. Does your viewer support that?

He is not the person listing machinery to sell.

Also, he is a *much* better machinist than typist, judging from the many useful (albeit 'terse') posts he has made over the years I've been reading.

Reply to
Fred R

I usually agree with your position on this, Joe, but these two were examples that I also found to be needlessly hurtful. In the case of the minister (they tried to make him look *not* like a priest, but apparently failed), the "priest" gets a little sensual about the truck, and a little girl comes up to him while he's in his state of lust (she had tossed the keys onto the collection plate), the priest adds the letters "L" and "t" to the beginning and end, respectively, of the word "us" on a message board, and the background music is a special recording of Billie Holiday's "Guilty."

All in all, a little over the top.

They complained because the bear is sold wearing a straight jacket. Again, a little over the top.

Not that I would disallow such things, but both advertisers faced the problem that the attention brought to irrelevant elements of their ads distracted attention from the product. And both were also needlessly touchy for certain groups of people. If it had served some legitimate purpose -- if the straightjacket meant something other than stereotyping the mentally ill, for example, I'd stand right behind both of them. But not this time. These were both kind of sleazy. They deserve to be yelled at.

I thought rights were about protecting minorities from the majority.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ahh.. Context is everything!

Ahh.. Good clean fun there. And for those of you wondering, I have not one, but two mentally handicapped relatives. One permamently in a facility... Doesn't offend me a bit. MAybe I need the straight jacket. :)

If we were talking "rights" then I'd agree, but we are talking about whether a post is appropriate for this particular group.

I agree, my examples were a bit off-track, but one has to admit that there are certainly a lot more uptight people in the world these days... Or is it just me noticing it?

Reply to
Joe