data gathering

I have a couple of generic location sensing questions. Suppose that I have
a four wheeled platform with a 'very' simple arm and I would like to log the
number of revolutions of each of the four wheels and both the
forward/reverse and left/right movement of the arm. What kind of processor
would you recommend for the data logging?
Thanks in advance
- scott
Reply to
Scott Gallimore
Hi Scott,
The type of processor depends on how fast you want to sample each point. A point is defined as a "revolution", a voltage, a ....( pick something).
If the revolutions are 10,000 RPM thats 1 revolution every 100 micro_seconds.
If the revolutions are 10 RPM thats 1 revolution every 100 milli_seconds.
So how "simple" is "simple" ??
Please give enough information to answer your question.
Also the number of points is just as important.
hamilton
Scott Gallimore wrote:
Reply to
hamilton
Thanks hamilton. I should have known to include that info. 10 RPM is realistic but lets go with 100 RPM. And the lienar movement of the arm is 5 inches with only 180 degrees of rotation to be monitored. I'm hoping this is considered simple simple. - scott
Reply to
Scott Gallimore
Well thats a little better.
OK, 100 RPM is for what part of the system ?
If this is the four wheels or a main drive motor ? If its a main drive motor, does this thing go in only one direction ?
5 inches in 100 micro-seconds or 5 inches in 5 minutes ?
Is the 5 inches a linear motor or a stepper motor with a gear box ?
Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler - Albert Einstein
This is not rocket science, but.....
Scott Gallimore wrote:
Reply to
hamilton
Uh....no. That is one revolution every 6 milli-seconds
No, that is one revolution every six seconds.
Sixty seconds per minute, remember. Goes back to the Babylonians, IIRC.
Just my 0.02 Euros.
PeterS Remove my PANTS to reply.
Reply to
Spam Magnet
[snip]
Ah, but not if the parent is on METRIC TIME!
Reply to
The Artist Formerly Known as K
Any one with which you are already familiar.
The time spent trying to locate an "optimum" processor, accumulate the necessary tools to program it, learn its quirks, and get the first "Hello, world" equivalent up and running would probably be better spent on a slightly non-optimum processor (presumably slightly more memory, I/O, speed, cost, ... than optimum) that you already know.
Especially if it's a one-off project. A few hundred thousand units, maybe a different answer.
Reply to
Rich Webb
Opps, Open editor insert foot :-)
Spam Magnet wrote: