help needed with printf statement...on zilog

Hi everyone,
I have been trying to use the Zilog Z8 encore board and use its console port to just printf a few things on the hyperterminal. Since I couldnt
get the printf of my code working I have just written a one line code to print a single statement on my hyperterminal window.
the one line code is:
#include<stdlib.h> #include <string.h>
void main (void) {     printf("\n basic printf trial "); }
doesnt work though...is there anything in particular that i need to include that I havent realised.
Thanks, -Priti