Hexy walker

Mike Keesling and I have been working with Jim Frye on his hexapods. We programmed the ServoPod(TM) to control them. (Yes, my company makes the ServoPod(TM) so admittedly there's some self interest in the post.)

Want to see some neat moves you probably haven't seen from a hexapod before? Like a hexapod walking crab-like side-ways! Or walking higher, or lower, as it goes!

Even diagonally, walking at an angle! What would you call that? Looks like a... a... "sashay" to me!?!?!

Hey, that's kinda hexy. ;)

Look down under the Hex 3 section, MPG Videos. Anybody seen walking like this before?

Reply to
Randy M. Dumse

Not the most difficult code I have ever written, but a really fun challenge.

blueeyedpop

well, having worked with Dave Braun, the original designer of the Hexapod, we had a prototype version of the Hexabot doing some interesting gaits under GA programmed FPGA control for a research project with Dr. Gary Parker. Somewhere, there are some papers and videos of this.

Ah, here it is:

no videos of the funky gaits the GA came up with, but I'm glad Servobot (Hexapod) lives on...

See ya, -ingo

Reply to
Ingo Cyliax

Any chance of making some of these programs available for those of us using servopods to control H3's ?

either on lynxmotion or newmicros websites or elsewhere ?

Thanks

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

The code is on Lynx's site, though it is changing so rapidly.

I wrote the code for the EH3-R with other EH3's being an extension of this code. The initial version allows vectored walking, controlled by a tether.

Hooks for different leg lengths and leg rotations are embedded in the code. This allowed the code to port over to the other EH3's quite easily.

What it was lacking was rotating about a point in space, especially important for the inline hexapods.

This is a non paying gig for me, doing it for giggles, but I got doubleplus busy at work. Randy took over advancing the code adding the following enhancements:

1) Severe optimization. I wrote the code in a weekend, and didn't pay attention to the finer details. 2) Wireless playstation controller. 3) More flexability in the upload so that a few smalll changes to the code can have vast effects on the compile. 4) Now is working with my notes and his superior mathematics skillz to provide turning about a point. 5) Possibly changing from a table based gait to an interpolated gait. 6) More optimization. My code is shamefully inefficient. Randy is like a code ferrett, sniffing out bad code, and re-weaving it. There are a lot of mathematical simplifications that can be done. 7) Zeus only knows what else.

Randy and I are now starting in on Scout, Lynx's ED-209 looking biped. Again, a non paying gig, but it is fun. Alas, work is keeping me occupied.

Mike

blueeyedpop

A reweaving, bad-code sniffing ferret?

Somehow that just doesn't sound like a compliment. ;)

Reply to
Randy M. Dumse

Thanks.

My H3 is still in bits, haven't had the time yet to assemble it. After uni exams are over at the end of next week and exam marking the week after(tutoring), have 3 months of summer holidays to get it into one piece and moving along. (After ten years of shift work being at uni is paradise!)

Want to use mine as a sensor base. Sonar, ir, eventually gps , efield, automous and remote controlled via bluetooth. Also maybe small camera. Blue tooth modules already work well with over 100m range depending on location/terrain/vegatation.

Thinking about using a pc wireless card for higher data rates.

Wouldn't guru be a better description ?

Thank you Alex Gibson

Reply to
Alex Gibson