I2t Overheating Protection

Dear Group,
We accidentally fried (it stinks really bad) a largish DC Motor (1.5 kW), it turns out that the power amplifier / controller that our robot
controller sits on top of does not have any protection and if you give "maximum setpoint" for a few minutes then the insulation of the windings start melting, the brushes weld to the rotor and all sorts of nasty things. Can anybody recommend a good description of how to implement a I2t overload protection in SW (or another simple overload protection scheme)?
Kind regards
Sjur J. Vestli