Ideas for mobile platform

All the bike needed was a side car. Or a much better gyro so it could stand up right, balance on 2 wheels.

Put the wheels side by side like a segway and keep a low center of gravity and balance isn't much of a problem.
newtype wrote:

All motorcycles (and bicycles) have gyros, they are called wheels. They all balance well if they are moving. Multi-track, covered in another posting.
--
Pat

"Pat Farrell"

Because of the wheel gyro effect, motorcycles when at speed are maneuvered completely against one's natural instincts. For example, if you want to turn your motorcycle to the right, you have to lean to the right. To lean to the right you have two options, either you displace your weight to the right (which is too slow, by the time you got the bike leaned, you crashed already) or you countersteer. Countersteering is like that: you want to go to the right, then turn the handlebars to the left... weird hughn? But it works, actually in practice it only works like this. (I know, I ride a bike everyday). In race pictures, you can actually see racers leaning in one direction and the wheel turned at the opposite direction. At extremes, the front wheel drags on the ground.
At lower speeds though, the well familiar bicycle riding style applies... I wonder if the ghostrider guys took that into accound when they designed the steering control software...
Cheers
Padu
Countersteering is like that: you want to go

I've had 4 motorcycles, and rode for years. And countersteering is by far the coolest thing. Not too weird. Only works well at high speeds, since at low, you might just fall down. You push the right handlebar - sharply, but not **too** hard - in effect turning the front wheel to the left. Then momentum/inertia pushes the mass of the bike at a net vector angle that causes it to start to "fall" to the right [because the front wheel is going to the left]. This causes the bike to lean rapidly to the right, which is how you want it when turning right in the first place. Of course, you then have to quickly straighten the wheel to avoid taking a nose-plant. All in all, counter-steering is a way to rapidly "initiate" a turn, but you have to immediately compensate, once the bike is heeled over. But it is great when you come into a turn too fast, or the turn radius decreases half way through, or you just want to juke around a pothole in the road. At 65 mph, it will juke the bike a couple of feet sideways in a flash.
"dan michaels"

<snip>
I've raced at Streets of Willow (Rosamond, CA), and I'll tell you something, when you are at the end of the back straight at about 140mph and you have to make that chicane, you better push it hard and fast 8^)
Cheers
Padu

All this sounds good, but the problem is you stand up an bike and it falls over. period. The gyro effect only happens when the bike is in motion, not at rest. That's why last year and this year the bike just fell over and crashed at the starting gate.
"Si Ballenger" wrote in message

Yes, I remembered you making this suggestion a while ago. Seems promising, but correct me if I'm wrong, it doesn't seem to have a good suspension system. It seems it was made for good torque at very low speeds, isn't that right?
Thanks for the link though
Padu

You might consider "small, fast, rough terrain...., chose any two." I'd save fast for last, as the platform is the easy part. I think it would handle a normal auto gravel road at full speed. Below are some links where lawn mowers and lawn tractors do go quite fast if you really need the speed.
http://www.letsmow.com / http://www.letsmow.com/gallery.html http://www.letsmow.com/video.html

How about a dune buggy? Its a grown-up version of a go-kart. They're under $1000, powerful, fast, and look to be really hackable.
http://www.ioffer.com/i/BRAND-NEW-90CC-Off-Road-Go-Kart-Dune-Buggy-Sand-R ail-7697728
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemq70426327&categoryd 656
--
mehaase(at)gmail(dot)com

The second one looks real cheesy (doesn't seem to have a suspension system), but I liked the first one a lot. I'll try to find more information about that model and company, thanks!
At first glance, it sounds more promising than an ATV. Seems to have reverse, easier to customize, strong enough motor and a heck of a price...
Thanks!
Padu