AA model kits, never heard of them

Seem to do 48th Mig kits, are they a cheap rip off i should avoid or are they a decent worth getting build? not point asking the seller :-)

Thanks!

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

Julian:

Run away, very fast! Cheap chinese stuff, think early Aurora in quality.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Aurora wel before my time but sounds like i souldnt touch them with someone elses barge pole....saw them for 6 bucks and wonderd if they were the same as Zfendenduddu rip offs of other peoples kits.

Same seller has C.C Lee kits, another dodgy to avoid? ta

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

They have some interesting aircraft kits which can't be found elsewhere. Their MiG-21 family of kits are based on the Academy 21, so not too bad. The only one I would really avoid is the MiG-19 -- there are much better alternatives.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Koval

I have a few of the Lee kits but only in 1/144th. I started the F-14 and it seems pretty good. I'd assume it's a copy of someone's but I don't know whom's. IIRC, they're Hong Kong based.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

The MiG-21 is an Academy rip-off, but the rest are their down doings. They are very basic: almost bare cockpits, void landing gear wells, empty intakes & exhausts, thick wings. That being said, I've seen a few done up real nice, especially the F-8II. The MiG-19 is junk, but the rest are workable & the only game in town for Chinese jets. If you can get them for dirt cheep (I wouldn't pay more than $10) it would beat scratchbuilding them.

Hope that helps, Shawn

Reply to
Shawn Hull

Where do you find them to buy?

Reply to
PlasticPusher

6 bucks a peice, i thought of getting 2 or 3 if i bought some other stuff from the same overseas seller

Maybe worth a pop.

thanks

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

ebay guy from HK, universalmodels

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

They seem to be reliable. I was on tenterhooks waiting to see if I sent money off to oblivion. They kindly informed me that the money arrived and the kit was mailed. Within a couple of days it arrived.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

I got my kits this week from them ok, not the greatest packing, no box just thick paper,

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

I have one of their 1/48 scale FBC-1 "Soaring Flying The Leopard" kits. (Fictional [but very colorful] Demonstrator scheme.) Cons: It's rather toy-like (somewhat over-scale, with oversized rivet holes and pebbly surface) and has very little detail. (Scratchbuilding a cockpit is pretty much a must...) Pros: Four rather comprehensive weapons sprues, although the weapons themselves are rather un-detailed.

But since I paid only $6 for it, I'm not going to complain *too* much...

I also have their 1/200 scale "Zhu Hai" Destroyer. Cons: Again; a bit toy-like in the lack of detailing. Rails are overscale in thickness. Originally molded for motorization/RC. Pros: Looks pretty simple to build and accurate according to the few pics and other sources I was able to find. Again, I got it pretty cheap ($20) so I'm not going to complain too much...

Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall