Interfacing PIC micro and bluetooth

Hello, I am considering to replace my serial cable connection between a PIC micro board and PC. I am wondering that I could use a cheap serial-to-USB converter (one
of that used to connect serial devices to USB PC ports) attached to the PIC serial in/out, then attach a USB-Bluetooth dongle on the USB out of the converter. On PC it would need only another USB-Bluetooth adapter.
PIC serial <--> serial-to-USB <--> USB-Bluetooth <----/
/-----> USB-Bluetooth <--> PC
Can this scheme work? Or the serial-to-Usb converter is not good to interface directly to a PIC? regards
gidesa
gidesa wrote:

Have you considered a serial-to-bluetooth adapter? I found one offered at http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id8 that provides UART, SPI, and PIO for communications at rates from 1200 baud to 921.6 kbaud. This particular model also has a channel devoted to audio and PCM lines, could be useful for remote audio.
Also, for cheaper you can get ZigBee devices like this http://www.maxstream.net/products/xbee/xbee-oem-rf-module-zigbee.php which would replace serial rather well. You'd have to develop a board for the PC side, but that should be trivial, not to mention you can keep the serial code instead of rewriting for bluetooth. Should you choose to go with the maxstream ZigBee modules, I'd recommend getting them from DigiKey or some other provider as maxstream is incredibly slow on delivery.
No affiliation to sparkfun or maxstream. I just don't want to see power consumption go through the roof with low bandwidth on the constraints of a USB-to-serial converter.
-jso

No, won't work, because there is no host USB port, only two slaves, unless you have something specifically meant to be a host as the USB-Bluetooth device.
I have used both the Sparkfun BlueSMiRF and the Maxstream XBee modules Jacob Oursland mentioned in his post, and they both work well.
--
Randy M. Dumse
www.newmicros.com

Hi Gidesa (?),
I've used the SparkFun module; works very well. I have connected it to an AVR. Have a look on my site: http://elec.rommelkist.nl/bluetooth_gb.html .
Non ho scrito le pagine in Italiano! Ma se riesci legere Olandese puoi anche andare qui: http://elec.rommelkist.nl/bluetooth.html .
Ciao, Steve
Thanks! Grazie! :-) Legger le pagine in inglese, va bene lo stesso. Ciao
Giandomenico