Linux router as embedded computer for robots

Lots of interesting stuff there! As my retirement grows imminent, projects like this look more and more interesting to me... special thanks for passing on the information about RTAI. I was familiar with RTLinux (it was developed just up the road from me, after all!) but not. True real-time in the Linux kernel looks *really* interesting to me.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

I agree with you. The netbook-nettop or similar is the base platform for more "abstract" intelligent computing, or heavy task as computer vision. MCU can optimally do the sensor interaction, or base task as could be PWM on motors, servo loop, etc. And today there are cheap microcontrollers that are really "beasts", indeed they could do also some type of computer vision computing. The great advantage of standard architecture pc, as netbooks, is that they can use a bunch of very cheap peripherals: webcam, bluetooth or wifi devices, memories, and so on. Connecting similar peripherals directly to a microcontroller is not so easy, and not so cheap.

Reply to
gidesa