Looking for USB Oscilloscope

Looking for any recommendations - would like to keep it ~$200 or less.

Thanks Daryl

Reply to
daryl wilde

I've not used this, but here is one by Parallax for $129. You can purchase it from;

in California. (I'm sure other dealers are available as well).

Reply to
cadcoke3

The Parallax USB 'scope is affordable but its bandwidth is only 200 KHz (that's KHz, not MHz). OK for a classroom demo, maybe.

Link Instruments has one with a 60 MHz bandwidth at 100 Msa/sec that's US$525 to $725 depending on options.

haven't used it but I do have one of their (older) PC-based logic analyzers that I've been happy with.

There's also the good ol' BItscope

that has a

100 MHz bandwidth and sampling rates up to 40 MSa/sec. US$300 and up.
Reply to
Rich Webb

These may be a little more than your budget. Have a look at two new ones at:

Don...

Reply to
Don McKenzie

You might also want to take a look at the BitScope product line:

-Wayne

Reply to
Wayne C. Gramlich

These are actually designed and manufactured by usb-instruments.com. It should be noted that these will only work with Windows. I've contacted them about supporting other platforms and they're vehemently opposed to anything other than Windows. For most that's probably not a problem, but if you want an open platform with more bandwidth and support for Linux, than I recommend the Bitscope (bitscope.com).

Reply to
Chris S.

Spoke too soon. It seems their newest scopes do have have Linux drivers "on request".

Reply to
Chris S.

They are actually the same company that puts out the Easysync USB to RS-232/485 etc,. converters, which just happens to also be the same company that designed and distributes the FTDI chips that are so popular right now.

Don...

Reply to
Don McKenzie

Thanks all for the suggestions - Parallax looks to be only one in the budget - will look closer.

Daryl

Reply to
daryl wilde

Let us know if it is any good if you do buy it. I'm also looking to get a cheap oscilloscope.

Cheers

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Gunn

I have a two-channel Velleman DSO box similar to this single-channel:

Mine's in the same size box, powered by a wallwart, connnects to a PC's parallel port. Sorry, not USB - if your computer doesn't have the venerable parallel port, you could get an older one to use with a box like this. This has "decent" specs, something like 30 or 60MSPS. I've got an old 100MHz pentium system dedicated to this box. Controlling the trigger, sweep speed, vertical gain, etc is all done with the mouse on the screen. I paid something like $200 or $300 (I forget) for it about four or five years ago, but I don't see anything similar now. I suppose the big market for PC-based DSO's is for more expensive, higher end systems.

-----

Ben Bradley