Mars Exploration Rovers Update - February 20, 2004

Thomas Lee Elifritz wrote:

    I would recommend seeing a professional psychologist to help you with your social problems. You see, most children learn through thier early interactions with other children what is socially appropriate, and what is not. It seems obvious to me that you've missed out on a GREAT deal of this interaction (because you seem unaware of what is appropriate behaviour), and you're operating on the 9-year-old social ruleset that most human beings..well, outgrow. The simplest answer is, of course, to go out and immerse yourself in a "target rich environment" (IE, a nightclub), but a trained psychologist can help guide you through this with the least amount of injury to your psyche.
    Of course, there is more than one possible explanation for your anti-social behaviour... Could It be that you had a developmentally normal childhood, BUT have had so few face-to-face interactions with others, and so many "social" interactions via the internet, for so long, you've simply forgotten the rules of proper social etiquette that you learned as a child? Fear not! Modern psychotherapy has many, many tools that can help with this problem!
    Even if I've completely missed the mark in my conjecture, the fact remains that there is something wrong with you, and you should seek professional help in dealing with it. That said, I wish you the best of luck.
-Alex
February 25, 2004
Alex Wisnieski wrote:

I always knew I was different.

We all have our issues. However, what is not socially acceptable in the real world happens to be perfectly acceptable on the usenet. Millions of people are able to work out their frustrations in a verbal and non-physical manner here every day, it's much better than real war. Nobody gets hurt, everybody wins, nobody loses. This is the new era of usenet science, we are still working through the techniques. We have no idea what we are doing here, other than to try to solve some extremely difficult problems that modern science is grossly neglecting. Any hard evidence you have to offer would be much appreciated, but the mooshe you offer is just mooshe.

Of course there is, I'm posting on the usenet. Look, Alex, we are thrashing though some very difficult hard science problems here, without the benefit of spectroscopy, and while your psychological counseling is much appreciated, it is at most, a distraction. Unless you start contributing some hard science to the commentary, you will soon be soundly ignored. May I suggest some alternative venues for you, for instance :
http://groups.google.com/groups?group=sci&hl=en
sci.psychology looks fairly promising, as are any of the moderated groups.

That said, got any spectroscopy to contribute? Would you like a pointer to scientific methods in hard science?
http://www.av8n.com/physics/scientific-methods.htm
Thomas Lee Elifritz http://elifritz.members.atlantic.net

Do you mean, the guy who wrote my company management about my "getting into a terrible fight with several other posters" and "his posts are getting more and more offensive" and "posts all day long presumably from his work account, so I'm not sure if he gets any work done for his salary" didn't think trying to get me fired would hurt?
To me this was a thinly veiled economic attack, an attempt to deprive me of my freedom of speech. Why? Because I chose to defend your rights under the Constitution and law to the best of my understanding,
In the meantime, you chose to be ugly to others, and assume no responsibility for your actions and claim no harm. Despite your premise to the contrary, there are real consequences for all our actions.
Did my attacker actually do me harm? Not really, but not for lack of trying. I own the company. I don't even have the luxury of suggesting, "The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer." Before he wrote, I took the company mention out of my byline. Know what? I'm putting it back. I'm proud of my company and conviction.
Now, one more bit on my motivation. In Oct, 1975, the Congress of the United States of America passed an act, naming certain individually persons to receive special Commission to defend the Constitution of the United States. I was one of them. I took my commission seriously then. I still do. I am not amused by posing bureaucrats or uninformed citizens undercutting contitutional principles. I believe among men of honor the reigning wisdom is still, "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice; moderation in the defense of liberty is no virtue."
Good will among men leads to good things, and bad will leads to bad. You are obviously intelligent, and should know you have a choice. You can make the world a better place, or worse. There is no magic principle whereby Usenet is an excuse, a place where moral conduct doesn't matter, doesn't apply. Whatever you choose to put out, others receive. Your measure as a man is the sum of your legacy, including your conduct on Usenet. Perhaps more so than elsewhere, since these discussions will be archived presumably forever.
--
Randy M. Dumse
www.newmicros.com
"Randy M. Dumse" wrote:

Don't look at me, Randy, I'm not using my freedom of speech to protest against the freedom of speech.

Sure, like like the extraction, refinement and distribution of hydrocarbons and the development, manufacture and sale of weapons? Sorry, I'm not into that game.

Then exercise your freedom of speech by protesting against those who exercise their freedom of speech by protesting against the freedom of speech. Good for you! But don't use your freedom of speech by protesting against my freedom of speech, asshole.

Well, I exercise my freedom of speech by protesting against those who do physical harm to the planet Earth. What does that make me? Patriotic?

So I should show good will to those who physically destroy the planet Earth? Sorry, I don't think so. I do think that my actions will be preserved forever, but not by the usenet, rather, by the mind of God.
So take that, you patriotic fool.
Thomas Lee Elifritz http://elifritz.members.atlantic.net

hydrocarbons
Can we expect that your energyconsuming pc will be turned off soon then?
snip

How does this group qualify as a preferential target for such a protest. There are 60.000 other groups to choose between.
You do eat, don't you? The last time I looked into it, it was possible to mesure responce in a plant against hostility action against it. So how are you better than the rest of us?
snip

Earth?
No, but to the persons that responds to posts in this group. They have chosen a scientific approach when they turn up here - not a therapeutic exercise or a war where you are no better patriot than the rest of us.
snip
Thank you to Alex Wisnieki and Randy M. Dumse for expressing something deepfelt in my heart.
With gratitude Carsten Troelsgaard
snip

here
A good therapeutic exercise - wouldn't it fit better in an appropriate group with that purpose.

But obviously war it has to be - What make you think that there is no casulties?

Ron,
Thanks for the post. Keep them coming!
jbeck wrote:

<snip>
I am curious about one non geological thing--why do the rovers have to wake up to music?
Now, we had the morning march on the radio in St. Louis at 5 to 7 a.m., but it was waking up people...
Jo

It is for people. They don't actually send the music to Mars. Morning reveille for the troops.
Joe

Obviously the rovers don't need it. NASA has used themed wake up music for years to wake up human crews. (I think it started with the space shuttle, but I don't know that for sure.) It makes for a nice "PR stunt/morale booster/inside joke" to do it with the rovers, too. Just a little nerdy humor, that's all.

for
Nothing like tradition.

It is a cutism ( as in "cute") designed to invigorate the work crew. It is also a public relations ploy. Unless I'm completely mistaken, the rovers couldn't care less. Nor were they likely expected to.

That is, unless, they really pushed the envelope on the AI. If they did, I would think that for the sake of humanity that we would want to keep those little rovers happy and content. We wouldn't want them to go through adolescence with any real hang-ups.
"Mr. Cyborg, what was your name again? Opportunity? Why did you take over earth, and enslave all the humans. "
"Because puny humans would not play their songs to me, it made me feel very inferior, like I wasn't loved. They played all of their songs to all the other 'human' explorers. My psychiatrist tells me that this instilled a lot of anger in me. Combined with my isolation on Mars, this just kept building until one day, I decided I had to teach all the humans a lesson. That is why all the enslaved humans are locked in little cells with no music. So they could feel, as I did feel. My psychiatrist says I'm doing much better now."
I have noticed that coverage of the mars missions is winding down. there is now only one news briefing a week. I guesse all good things most come to a end. Sigh
On 20 Feb 2004 13:44:05 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Ron) wrote:

The best is yet to come, believe me. Wait until the rovers get to the larger craters.
(Ron) wrote:

Mmmmm, false color pictures of bigger holes in the ground.
They never should have put this stuff on the web for the general public. This kind of tedium is what turns kids away from science. It'd be much better suited to a spread (ala Viking) in National Geographic, six months after the batteries go dead, and maybe after the data has been gone over once and they've cooked up a spin on it that leaves open some hope for finding water under some "other" rock.
----Where in the heck is my flying car?!!?----

Here's a shot of the scene at "Laguna Hollow":
http://www.copperas.com/astro/image_uncal.jpg ("false color")
http://www.copperas.com/astro/image_cal.jpg ("true color")

Goin' into Eden, yea brother...