Microchip TC77 use?

Has anyone successfully interfaced a Microchip TC77 SPI thermometer to an AVR or OOPic? I'm fiddling with one and I can't get the OOPic to read
anything but zeros back, and my AVR (softare SPI on a 90s2313) seems to be skipping the first bit in the read. I'm looking to see who has used this chip successfully on ANY micro and what gotchas you found and over- came.
thanks all, DLC
* Dennis Clark snipped-for-privacy@frii.com www.techtoystoday.com *